ch.6 // god of office work

After the botched attempt at catching the Loki variant, we all retreated back to the TVA Headquarters.

Mobius was called in to talk to the intimidating judge lady who had so graciously greeted me on my first day here. Me and Loki waited outside the doors for our impending scolding.

We couldn't make out any of what they were saying, but I doubted it was anything good.

There was an awkward silence between me and Loki as we stood, backs leaning against the wall. Neither of us knew where we stood with each other because of the many mixed signals in our interactions.

Loki cleared his throat, "So... y/n," he started, pausing for a response.

Without missing a beat, I responded with, "Yeah?"

I had responded too quickly to seem normal, and Loki knew it. He smirked wickedly and turned his shoulders toward me, leaving one supporting his weight against the wall. I looked up at him nervously, catching a look of mischief in his eye. That can't be good.

"Look Loki, before you try anything," I said, as he feigned offense, "I need to know where we stand. Because one minute we hate each other, the next you are trying to seduce me, and now we're in an alliance?"

"No." Loki said, and I tilted my head in confusion.

"No?"

"No. I never hated you y/n." He said softly, "you just hated me, and thought I did too."

My mouth fell open, his words registering. The abruptness of his words shocked me. He continued,

"Seduce you? Yes. Alliances? Yes. But I'd never hate you." He said, his steel eyes searching for any kind of response from mine.

I swallowed hard, "You said I hated you..."

He nodded, "Hate, actually."

I pursed my lips. "No... no I've never hated you." I said softly, looking down at the ground.

"Then why-" he started before I cut him off,

"Nevermind why." There was a pause. 

"I'm sorry." I said, and he raised his eyebrows.

"I just- I'll tell you when I'm ready okay?"

He nodded, backing off as I smiled gratefully.

After a pause, I spoke,

"And... you said you tried to seduce me." I said, fiddling with my fingers as I looked up at him.

"Guilty as charged." He said with a grin, holding his arms up in surrender. He was trying to be lighthearted about it, but it made mine heavy.

"Why?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

His playful demeanor dropped, and he gently stepped slightly closer to me. His eyes on mine were intense, making my stomach churn. This feeling was scarier than anything I had felt in my entire life. As he moved closer I could take in more and more of his scent. It was heavy, but comforting.

His eyes flicked down to my lips, making me suddenly weak in the knees.

"Because-" he began, before being cut off by Mobius flinging the door open and starting down the hallway at a furious pace.

Seeing this, Loki brushed my hand and said, "More on that later, cmon!" as he hustled to catch up with Mobius.

"You're probably wondering what happened out on the mission. That was your first lesson in catching a Loki. Expect the expected." Loki rambled at Mobius, who just kept walking.