ch.14 // the time keepers

Standing in front of us was Judge Renslayer and a handful of armed minutemen. The happy moment was dashed to pieces by the sudden mood change, and my heart dropped.

"I think you have something of mine." Ravenna said to Mobius, an unreadable look on her face. The room was further illuminated by the orange glow of the pruning weapons held by the soldiers.

"Yeah, I got all the way down there before I even realized I picked up yours!" Mobius said lightly, pulling a TemPad out of his pocket.

There was no reaction from the other side.

"What's going on? What's the problem, Ravonna?" Mobius asked, but me and Loki both knew what the problem was. We all did.

Mobius let out a sigh, dropping his arm back to his side.

"You know where I'd go if I could go anywhere?" Mobius asked, and my eyebrows furrowed. Me and Loki shared an inquisitive glance, before I realized what Mobius was doing.

"Wherever it is I'm really from. Yeah, wherever I had a life before the TVA came along. Maybe I had a jet ski." Panic filled my heart and I slowly began to shake my head.

"No." I whispered, my eyes burning.

"That's what I'd like to do. Just riding around on my jet ski." Mobius finished

What happened next felt like it was put in slow motion, and all I could do was watch.

"Prune him." Judge Renslayer commanded with a pained look on her face. If she was even capable of feeling that.

"No!" I screamed as a minuteman stepped forward and touched the tip of the pruning device to Mobius. Mobius grunted as a hole spread from the point of contact until it nearly encompassed him. I watched horrified as Mobius dissolved into a mist of purples and blue.

The room was silent as the final sparks fell, the entire moment feeling like a terrible nightmare.

It felt like someone had reached into my chest and torn my heart out, detaching every single functioning pathway in my body.

What happened in the following moments went by in a haze. Me and Loki were seized by the minutemen and led to a golden elevator. Loki struggled slightly as we walked, but I couldn't even do that.

When we got to the elevator, we were joined by an equally captive and confused Sylvie. She looked at me questioningly.

"Mobius?" She mouthed.

I just looked down, unable to form a coherent sentence. Tears pricked my eyes and threatened to spill over. Immediately, Sylvie knew what had happened. Her shoulders fell as she sunk into the shock of the news.

"I've got them from here." Came an eerily familiar voice as Judge Renslayer came into view. My eyes darkened at the sight of her, and she stepped into the golden elevator as it opened. The three of us followed silently.

When the door closed, the dark mood surrounding us nearly suffocated me. After a Loki pause, Sylvie spoke.

"Do you remember me?" Her voice was numb and emotionless.

"I do." Judge Renslayer replied. Her smug voice made my jaw clench, and it took everything in me not to turn around and throw her against the elevator wall. But no, I was thus close to the time keepers. Mobius would have wanted us to get to them.

"What do you wanna say to me, Variant?" Ravonna asked cruelly.

"What was my nexus event? Why did you bring me in?" Sylvie asked, unmoving as she waited for her answer.

"What does it matter?" Ravonna quipped.

"It was enough to take my life from me, lead to all of this. Must have been important. So, what was it?" Sylvie asked again, her voice becoming slightly angry.