ch.7 // always

Trigger warning: brief scene with themes of sexual assault, nothing happens but you have been warned. There will be a warning before so feel free to read until then if you plan on skipping it.

"Doomsdays. The Variant's been ambushing our soldiers and hiding out in doomsdays to cover his tracks." Mobius said, as we returned to the TVA. Stepping out of an elevator, we found ourselves in a large room with tables and a wall of glass.

"You're welcome." Loki said, shooting us a wink. Even though I had technically helped too, I decided to give him this win. After all, he needed it more than I did.

"For this theory to hold, the disasters have to be naturally-occurring, sudden, no warning, no survivors." Mobius said, taking a seat at a table near the middle of the room. At his gesturing, me and Loki joined him.

"How many could there be?" I asked.

"I don't know." Loki shrugged.

"We're gonna find out." Mobius reassured, leaning back in his seat with a relieved sigh.

"By the way, at your desk, that magazine?" Loki asked."

"Yeah." Mobius said more like it was a question than an answer.

"The one on jet skis?" I asked, slightly confused, "The one you tried to mutilate Miss Minutes with?"

Loki shot me a look, "Hey! That was one time!"

"If you think you were the first one to try and to that with my magazine," Mobius laughed, "Then you two don't know me well enough."

I chuckled and said with a softer tone, "Yknow Mobius, maybe you're not that bad."

He smiled at this, "You two aren't either... for variants." Mobius added, making me chuckle. Loki took the opportunity to continue his line of questioning.

"Why do you have that? ...The magazine I mean."

"Because they're awesome." Mobius scoffed, a smile in his eyes.

Me and Loki chuckled at this, Loki responding with, "I suppose they are."

"You know, some things... Actually, most things in history are kinda dumb, and everything gets ruined eventually. But in the early 1990s, for a brief, shining moment, there was a beautiful union of form and function, which we call the jet ski, and a reasonable man cannot differ." Mobius said enthusiastically at us, waving his hands around for dramatic effect.

The whole exchange he was so casual and informal, I found myself finally being able to relax. Something I honestly thought Id never be able to do.

"You ever been on one?" I asked Mobius.

"No..." he replied, a slightly disappointed look in his eyes, "No. I think a TVA agent showing up on a jet ski on the Sacred Timeline, that would create a branch for sure... It'd be fun, though."

"Yeah, it'd be really fun." I said, a grin playing on my lips.

"So, why read about them?" Loki asked.

"Just helps remind me of what we're fighting for." He replied, and I found myself getting the tiniest bit emotional. Maybe it's just been a long day, but Mobius really did have it hard.

"You really believe in all this stuff, don't you?" Loki asked, leaning forward and resting his elbows in the table.

"I don't get hung up on, "Believe, not believe." I just accept what is." He replies nonchalantly.

"Three magic lizards..." Loki says and I interrupt,

"Hey! That's my line."

He looks at me, his face lined with defensiveness and playful confusion, "No, it's mine."