ch.11 // totally not in love

"I'm sorry." Loki said softly as we all sat and watched the planet continue its collision course with ours.

Sylvie didn't say anything for a long second.
"I remember Asgard. Not much, but I remember. My home, my people, my life."

Her words sunk in, and my heart dropped with them. I looked down at my feet, biting my lip.

"The universe wants to break free, so it manifests chaos." Sylvie continued, "Like me being born the Goddess of Mischief. And as soon as that created a big enough detour from the Sacred Timeline, the TVA showed up, erased my reality, and took me prisoner."

My chest was so heavy I felt like it might break the rock we all sat on.

"I suppose the best of us have tough beginnings." I say with a bitter smile, earning a dry chuckle from her.

"I was just a child. I escaped. Stole a TemPad and I ran for a long, long time, which really sucked. Everywhere and every-when I went, it caused a nexus event. Sent up a smoke flare. Because I'm not supposed to exist. Until, eventually, I figured out where to hide. And so that's where I grew up, the ends of a thousand worlds."

Her words were almost beautiful, had we not been sitting at the ends of our lives. Her voice faltered slightly, and my throat tightened. Beside me, Loki pursed his lips.

"And now... that's where I'll die." She finished, her eyes fixed the shattering sky.

I stood up from my spot on the rock, stepping over and sinking down to my knees in front of her. I placed a hand on hers lightly, a reassuring smile on my face. I then looked over at Loki, taking his hand in mine as well.

"No. It's where we will die." I said gently, pressing their hands.

I looked up into Loki's eyes, which were fixed intently on mine. He looked at me like if he wasn't careful enough, his gaze might break me. To be honest, it broke me even more.

I cleaned my throat, climbing to my feet and releasing their hands. I sunk back down to my previous spot on the rock, a small sigh escaping my lips.

"Not long now." I said, coming to terms with our fate.

"Do you think that what makes a Loki a Loki is the fact that we're destined to lose?" Sylvie asked, turning to Loki

"No." Loki said, "We may lose. Sometimes painfully. But we don't die. We survive."

"I mean, you did." I pipe in, leaning forward to address Sylvie directly, "You were just a child when the TVA took you, but you nearly took down the organization that claims to govern the order of time. You did it on your own. You ran rings around them. You're amazing." I said, feeling my throat tighten and my eyes become damp.

"You did more than I ever did on my own." I said, a tear escaping and rolling down my grimy face.

Sylvie's face softened with concern, "On your own?"

I nodded, but trusting myself fully to speak. "Yeah. My parents walked out on me... right in front of me. It's the reason I was captured by the TVA. I spent all my life looking for a way to find them, but when I did-" I choked, not being able to finish the sentence.

It was then that I felt a warm arm around my shoulders. I looked up with watery eyes, to see Loki with a comforting smile on his face. My lip quivered and I buried my face into the neck of his shirt, looping my arms around his waist.

He was hugging me now, pressing me closer to him. I could hear the rapid heartbeat in his chest, making me smile. It might've been the end of the world that was making his heart beat faster than normal, but I liked to think it was because of me.