Chapter 16

A few hours later, we were getting ready to eat dinner. My mom made everyone get dressed up even though we weren't going out. I wore a purple floral strapless dress and black flats. "You look beautiful" Dame said standing in the doorway looking at me.

"Thanks. You look good too." I walked over to him and tightened his tie. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pecked my lips a few times.

"Alright you two, enough of that" Georgia said smiling at us. "Hey, where have you been all day?" "I had to help your brother with something" she said with a huge smile on her face.

We all walked downstairs and the smell of delicious food filled the room. "Mmmm, it smells good in here." I saw my grandma sitting on the couch. "Happy birthday grandma" I said hugging her.

"Thank you sweety. Now, who is this fine looking young man?" I pulled Dame over to us. "Gram, this is my boyfriend Damian. Damian, this is my grandmother."

"Nice to meet you Damian" she said pulling him down into a hug.

We all sat down for dinner and saw Erica smirking at me from across the table. Everyone went into their own conversations.

"How long have you too been together?" My grandma asked. "A couple weeks" I said as Dame squeezed my hand.

I noticed Georgia and Carter sneak glances at each other and smile. What is going on with those two? Trust me, I will be investigating later.

In the midst of all of the conversations going on, I hear Aunt Kelly going on and one about the new diet she's on, which we all know she is gonna quit soon.

"Julie, you should really consider going on the diet too. You gained a little in the midsection" I heard her say.

"Kelly, I am perfectly fine. I don't need to go on a diet" mom said with a tight smile. She was tightly gripping her fork. I could tell she was getting annoyed and I understand why.

My mom has an amazing figure. She does not have to diet, if anything, Aunt Kelly needs to stop dieting. She looks almost anorexic.

"So Vanessa, do you have any basketball friends that are single? Maybe you can give them my number" Erica asked.

"I'm not gonna do that." "Why not?" "I actually like my friends. Why would I do that to them?"

"Vanessa! Stop being selfish and help your cousin" Aunt Kelly said. "And how exactly is trying to avoid my friend's lives being ruined being selfish?"

Before she could reply, Erica jumped in. "Its fine. I know its because she's jealous of me anyway."

That comment made me laugh. "Jealous of you? Girl bye" I said waving her off. "You are."

"Why would I be jealous of a girl who still lives at home, just barely made it through high school, didn't go to college, don't got a job, and steal other another girl's boyfriend because she can't get her own?"
She glared at me from across the table. "Alright you guys, stop arguing" my mom said trying to be the peacemaker. That was when Aunt Kelly slammed her hand on the table.

"Julie, control your disrespectful ass kid." Then my mom did something I never saw her do before. She went off.

"First of all, don't talk about my kid like that! Second of all, instead of trying to control my daughter, control yours! And third of all, don't get mad at Vanessa for what she said when you know its true! So if you want to have a stank ass attitude, you and Erica can leave because we sure as hell don't need your drama!"

I've never felt so proud to call her my mother.

The three of them all glared at each other. My dad was trying his best to calm mom down. I was trying to stop myself from jumping across the table and ripping Erica's weave out, since she was still trying to seduce Dame from a distance.

"Don't worry babe. I only have eyes for you" Dame said whispering in my ear. He kissed me on the cheek and continued eating. Erica glared at me. I rolled my eyes and kept eating.

We sat in an awkward silence.

"This chicken is really good" Georgia said trying to ease the tension. "It is. How did you make this grandma?" Carter added.