19. Just fine

Pedro hauls me back to my trailer. I pray that Luz is not there because I did not want to put her through another awkward situation tonight. Knowing I needed a drink when I couldn't have one was dreadful. He shut the door behind us and crossed his arms, inhaling before speaking. "You don't seem happy Andy. In fact, you look extremely panicked," he said, causing me to question his thoughts. "I am allowed to be a little panicked, yeah. It's a baby. I'm not not happy about but I do need to digest the shock of it. I could have let it sink in for a few weeks before telling you however, life isn't a movie and there is no reason to drag the announcement out," I say. He paces up and down shaking his head. "You could have pulled me aside in private Andy. Not in front of Cassie, Jeff, the crew. It was a bombshell you just dropped on me."

I chuckle, trying to not anger myself. "What is so funny? This is serious Andy. I do not want to argue about this but please, let's be serious," he tells me, his tone somewhat condescending. "I am sorry? I need to be serious? I am a little scared Pedro. I needed to say it. I can't go though telling everyone individually. I am very sorry that it is hard to keep up with me sometimes and I understand that may be a little frustrating for you, but I am so scared," I say, my voice shaky. "I am scared because I don't have my mom to tell. My sister. I am old enough to have kids but I don't feel like I will be good enough. My mom really messed me up and I just don't want to be like her. I am thirty years old and I still feel like I do not have it together. Don't take any offense to this either but I am with a forty-five year old man that makes my heart flutter every time I see him and he's got it together while I am trying so hard to just get by," I say.

He takes my hand and guides me to the couch. "Hey. I handled this wrong. I panicked too. But believe me when I say, we got this. We will be fine. It happens. We will take very turn nice and slow." I felt like he meant the comfort he was giving. He believed his own words. "What about these movie deals we have? They are going to replace me Pedro. I wanted this. I wanted us to go to the other side of the globe and do the whole thing with you. Burning ourselves out with shooting and taking train rides every weekend to visit each other. You can still go, but me? They won't keep me for the Austen movie." My cheeks are wet with tears and I quickly rub them away. Pedro takes my face into his hands, wiping a single tear away with his thumb. "They won't do that. They can cover it up or they can try and shoot all of your full body scenes first. I will talk to them about it. Let's just worry about this. We are having a baby," he says, a smile so bright, stuck to his face. I nod and smile, still with tears running down my face. "Yeah, we are having a baby."

***

I grab my coat, turning off all of the lights and start heading out to meet Pedro outside. "Ready?" He asks. I nod, nervous about what Jeff and Cassie will say. We walk hand in hand, down the dark studio. Everyone has gone home already. It is almost three in the morning. I grip his hand as we walk through the office doors. "You look exhausted," he tells me. I nod, knowing that I probably looked terrible. Pedro knocked on the door before walking us both in. "Congratulations Andy on behalf of the studio and all of its reps. We do have some things we need to discuss. Now I already talked to the crew for your next project and they agree that they want to keep you on. We are just going to have to get one last scene in for this movie, then we will have you out there by the end of next week. We need to get more exposed scenes filmed as soon as possible, after that we will work around you," Jeff said. I raise an eyebrow and cross my arms. "What is it now Andy? I am playing nice with you." Jeff straightens himself out, waiting for me to snap. I don't. "I am just shocked that you are willing to work with us on this. I am alright with all of that."

Cassie starts tucking away her stuff, assuming she is exhausted as well. "Andy. Pedro. I am so happy for you both. This is great news. We will make it work," she pulls me in closer, softy continuing. "This is great Andy. You needed this." I smile and hug her. "Before everything is said and done, I need to address this. Andy will go to Berlin but you all won't work her all day and night long. Normal schedule and nothing crazy." Pedro is stern. Jeff and Cassie both nod in agreement. "Alright, I will have the move arranged, details soon. It is getting late. Go home you two. Go rest up. We will continue shooting that final stuff this week."

Pedro grabs my bag and guides me out to my car. "Here, give me your keys. I will drive." I tug them out of my pocket and hand them over. I lower myself into the car, the door shuts behind me.

The roads are empty and wet, residual rain from earlier. I watch the buildings pass us more miles on. "What's going on in there?" Pedro says, interrupting the silence. I sigh. "I've told everyone. I've told everyone that needs to know and it breaks my heart that telling my family the news first wasn't my first thought." His finger wipes a tear from my cheek. "Hey, hey, hey, there's no reason to cry Andy. Don't let that idea cloud up your happiness. You're supposed to be happy about this. We're happy about this," he says, reassuring me. I nod through my tears and grip my seatbelt. We're going to be fine. All three of us Andy.