The Forgotten Gift_A SaiRat OS

"Angry, young woman," he said.

Though she had her back facing him, he could tell that she smiled at that.

"Achchha, woh sab chhodo, aur yeh dekho," he began, as he stretched for the box placed across the bedside table.

As soon as she spotted the box in his hands, her face lit up.

"Gift!" she exclaimed. He nodded, as he, too, smiled.

But the next question wiped the smile off his face.

"Kiske liye?"

Then, many things happened at once.
His mind asked his heart, "Well, tell me, precisely, how you fell in love with this oblivious being, again?"
He dreaded her reaction when he would confess his love to her, that is, when he succeeds in saying something more than "main... woh... main... tumse..."
All this while, his brain trying to come up with a worthy answer. After a lot of quick brain racking, it came to him, and he replied, "Arrey, woh! Woh gussail, karele ka juice peene wali... Sai!"

"Mere liye!" Sai exclaimed yet again, as she snatched the box from Virat's hands.

He had the sudden urge to shout 'No!'
How long will it take this girl to let the fact that I've bought this gift for her penetrate her mind? he wondered, but as he saw the smile plastered across her face, he forgot about everything as he smiled wide. His smile stretched - if that was possible - when he realised she was so happy about the prospect of a gift that she didn't realise he called her gussail and karele ka juice peene wali.

But suddenly, she frowned and handed him the box without opening it.

"Kya hua, Sai? Tumne toh khol ke bhi nahi dekha. Pasand nahi aaya kya?" he asked, his spirits relatively lowered.

She continued frowning at him. He raised his brows impatiently.

"Woh... kuchh nahi, mujhe yeh nahi chahiye," came her dispirited reply.

A thought struck, though it did nothing to lift his spirits, and he asked, "Kuchh hua tha kya, Sai? Kisine kuchh kaha kya, mere pichhe?"

"Haan...
Nahi, mera matlab, main uss wajah se lene se inkaar nahi kar rahi hu," she said.

"Toh kuchh hua tha. Kya hua, batao mujhe," he ordered.
Can't they let her live in peace for just a day? he wondered.

"Nahi, aap woh sab chhodiye-"

"Kyu chhodu, ha-!" he tried to cut across her.

"Main-aapka-yeh-gift-tabhi-lungi-jab-aap-apna-woh-pehle-wala-gift-denge!" she blurted out in a single breath.

"Kya? Kaunsa pehle wala gift?" he asked, slightly amused, wondering what gift she was talking about.

"Woh... The Forgotten Gift."

"Kaunsa 'The Forgotten Gift' ?"

"Aapko... aapko yaad nahi?" she asked meekly.

He shook his head truthfully.

"Aapko sach mein nahi yaad?" she asked.

"Nahi, Sa-"

"Jaaiye, aapse toh baat karna hi bekaar hai!"

And with that, she started moving out of the door.

Somewhere, from within him, a sub-conscious voice screamed, "Use your brahmaastra!" as he involuntarily held onto her wrist, restraining her from moving out and away from him.

He walked to her and asked, "Kaunse gift ki baat kar rahi ho, Sai? Mujhe batao toh."

She looked uncertainly at him for a moment, then said, "Woh, aapko Sunday-lunch yaad hai? Pulkit Jiju aur Devi Tai ke saath?"