The Wretched Doorbell_A SaiRat OS

It was quarter past 4 on a Sunday afternoon, as she was doing the dishes, when she felt two arms close at her waist. Under distinct circumstances, she would've trodden on the feet just beside her, jabbed her elbow in the chest that was glued to her back, or would've at least pushed the owner of these arms away.

But she did none of that now. Instead, she was smiling. Why, though? This was because she knew this touch too well to have mistaken it with a foreign feel. She rinsed the lather off the glass and her hands, as the nose of the owner of the arms nuzzled the skin of her back.

She took hold of the arms, and turned around. Obviously enough, she saw the grinning face of her husband. His hair was disheveled. Combing them with her fingers, she asked, "Itni der kyun ho gayi aane mein?"

He pulled her closer and - choosing to ignore her question - asked, "Tumhe humesha kaise pata chal jaata hai ki main hun?"

Lips pursed, she stared at him in disbelief. They had come a long way from their childish fights and counter-attacking, but had he changed his ways? No, he'd still ask a question in reply to a question.

But aren't I just like that? she thought. And most importantly, do I want him to change?

She found her answers quickly (at least her mind did not betray her), yes and no, respectively.

Shaking her head, she said, "Maine pehle puchchha."

His mood visibly dropped, he said, "Sai..."

"Dekhiye, aapko jawaab dena hoga," she said, pointing her forefinger at his chest.

Frowning, he replied, "Raaste mein meri girlfriend ki yaad aagayi. Ab uske liye main kitne dino se uski manpasand cheez nahi laaya... socha aaj le chalu, issliye der ho gayi."

She was his wife. You'd expect her to lash out at that, but did she? No. She knew him and his lame sense of humour too well to be angry at such a bad joke. Thus, she played along and said, "Haw... aapka extramarital affair chal raha hai, Virat?"

"Han... chal raha hai na," he smirked, sliding his arms past her neck.

She started laughing. He joined her; the entire vicinity drowned in a fit of laughter. Their cheerful voices echoed throughout the gloomy walls of the kitchen.

The sudden eruption of laughter came to a halt.

"Batayenge nahi kiske saath?" she asked, her hands on his chest.

"Mhm," he replied, shaking his head. "Dikhaunga," he whispered, taking her lips in his.

She responded with equal passion. Though she should be used to this, too, by now, but every time, it evoke a new, beautiful, yet ineffable sensation within her.

"Samajhla, meri pyaari baiko?" he grinned, once they pulled away.

"Nahi," she pouted.

"Arrey... koi baat nahi, main bol hi deta hun," he offered, leaning in to whisper in her ear.

"Sai Virat Chavan."

The whisper name sent a torrent of shivers down her spine. She held his arms to steady her.

"Virat..." she softly called out.

"Hmm..." he responded, moving away.

"Kaha hai... woh aapki girlfriend ki manpasand cheez?"

His face suddenly broke into a wide smile.

"Yahin hai na, abhi laaya!" he exclaimed, as he walked away to retrieve the reason of his delayed return.