The First Rain Of The Season_A SaiRat OS

It was the evening of a particularly cloudy day of June when Sai and Virat were driving towards Chavan Niwas from Sai's college.

"Virat sir," Sai said, breaking the silence that had erupted after Virat had accidentally kissed her cheek as he was helping her sit in the passenger seat.

"Hmm..." Virat replied, his focus on the road ahead, trying to hide his embarrassment.

"Thank you... mujhe college pick up karne ke liye aane ke liye."

He looked at her face, and then at the window beyond. The sun was setting.

"Iss ke liye 'thank you' ki zarurat nahi," he said as he squeezed Sai's palm, one hand on the steering wheel, eyes on the road, and a smile on his face, thus, he missed an eager pair of eyes looking intently upon him.

"Aapko kya lagta hai? Aaj hum jab ghar pahuchenge toh kaunsa naya tamasha hoga? Aaj kaunsa ilzaam lagega mujh par?" she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Kaku jab hume saath aata dekhengi toh kahengi, Mast, ha mast. Aye Jungli Mulgi, teri wajah se Virat apni Police ki duty chhod kar driver ki duty karne laga hai. Na jaane kya jaadu kar rakha hai humare Virat bete par," she tried to mimic Bhavani.

He laughed, a wholehearted laugh. That was Sai's magic.

"Aisa kuchh nahi hoga. Main hu na," he replied when the laugh and snorts subsided.

"Han, aap hain na. Murti ban kar khade rehne ke liye."

Although he knew she was only joking, he was hurt, and that was his fault.

"Sai, jo ek baar hua woh har baar ho, zaruri thodi hai? Aur tum jaanti ho mere liye aasan nahi hota Kaku ko... ya Baba ko kuchh sunana. Par agar iss baat ke liye woh kuchh kehte hai, toh main unhe jawaab dunga, kyunki iss mein tumhari koi bhi galti nahi hai. Mujhe tumhare college ke paas kuchh kaam tha aur samay bhi hogaya tha tumhare chhutne ka toh main ne socha aaj ghar saath chalte hai aur apni marzi se tumhe lene chala aaya."

"Par yeh baat unhein thodi samajh aati hai, unke liye toh humesha main hi galat hun," Sai replied.

"Toh unhe samajhna padega, Sai."

"Arrey, par-"

Her eyes widened as he blocked her speech with his finger. He suddenly withdrew his finger, returned his gaze to the road, and then said, "Woh sab chhodo. Bolo, kuchh khaogi?"

"Arrey, kuchh toh bolo," he said, impatiently, after recieving no response for three-quarters of a minute. Again, no response came. He looked at her, into her eyes.

"Han?" he asked.

She nodded.

"Toh bola kyun nahi?"

She smiled sheepishly.

"Aap puchhenge nahi ki main kya khungi?" she asked, as Virat drove in silence.

"Mujhe pata hai," his constant gaze on the road ahead made him miss the look on his wife's face again.

They stopped in front of some road-side shops lined in queues, laden with street food. He got out of jeep, and opened the door of the passenger's seat, holding a hand out to Sai. She took it and stepped out, shutting the door behind her with a thud.

Moments later, he was before Sai, who eating a candy floss, on a table.

She held out some to his mouth and offered. He smiled and shook his head.