Chapter Two: Old Flame

"One small problem with the cross." Sully stated, motioning for us to follow him out of the room. I stayed behind to make sure I was the last out of the room, keeping an eye on Sam. There was no denying his appeal. However, I had to keep my head focused. This mission is about keeping him alive.

We stood together on a second floor balcony as Sully showed the brothers the cross. It sat propped on a table next to the auctioneer. Hundreds of people surrounding it down below.

"We just need a diversion. I... I don't know how. There's gotta be something." Nate explained, clearly running ideas through his head.

"Nate if the guards see us making it for that cross-" I was cut off by Sam chuckling beside me. I looked at him as he glanced at all of us.

"What if they don't see us? Jesus, you guys act like you've never been in prison."

I was definitely excluded from that statement. I was smart enough to never end up behind bars. No amount of treasure was worth being in one, especially if they're anything like the prisons Nate has been in.

"If you want something dirty done, you wait for..."

"Lights out!" All the men said in unison. We gathered around a table as Nate pulled a map of the building from his pocket. Sully explained the backup generator in place; meaning there would only be a few crucial seconds to grab the cross.

"We'll never be able to get close enough unnoticed." I chimed in. Just as I said that a waitress came up behind Sam. He turned and smirked at her, grabbing one of the offerings.

"Hi. How are you?" He flirted. I rolled my eyes as the waitress walked off, with Nate lightly slapping Sam on the chest.

"A waiter wouldn't be noticed." Sam pointed out. Thus the plan was set in motion. Sam was to get his hands on a waiter's uniform, Nathan cuts the power, and Sully and I watch the floor. We went downstairs to the cellar. With the help of Nathan's pickpocketing skills, the boys got into the cellar. Before they could get going, Sully gave us all earpieces.

Once they were off Sullivan and I made our way into the crowd. We once again made some small talk to pass the time. He motioned for us to remove the earpieces and I did. "You know, Sam probably isn't such a good idea. Just keep that in mind." He said quietly before hitting the cigar again. I turned to look at Sully, feeling the confusion growing across my features. He continued, "I saw the way you both looked at each other. And at least back in the day, Sam got around. I also know that you used to get around. I just don't think it's a good idea to get involved with him, considering the circumstances-"

I cut Sully off before he could continue his preaching. "Trust me, you don't have to worry about that. You seriously think I'd get with the prison escapee who has a bounty on his head? No thanks." I scoffed and rolled my eyes. He seriously thinks I'd even entertain Sam? Especially since I just met the guy. As that conversation had barely finished, I heard the steps of high heels behind us. We quickly reinserted the earpieces and turned to find a woman approaching us. She looked buff as hell, could probably take on every guy in this room if she needed to. Her curled hair sat about the same length as mine.

"Nadine Ross, pleasure to see you again." Sully greeted her.

"Hello Victor." She retorted before looking at me. "And who is keeping you company?" Her eyes shot daggers as they locked with mine. This definitely wasn't a friendly encounter.

"Mara, Mara Cooper." I introduced as I gave her a slight nod. She seemed to take note of my name, as if she'd heard it before.

"Well I was on my way to the bar, can I get you anything?" Nadine asked. I denied the service, but of course Sully asked for a scotch. Once Nadine was out of sight he recalled what just happened to Nathan.

Once Nadine came back with the drinks, she pressed for information about Nathan. I stayed quiet as the two exchanged words. "Nathan is retired. Settled down and got married." Sully told Nadine.

"Well then he might as well be dead, right?" A man chuckled as he walked up to us from behind me. I could feel my eyes shoot wide open, my skin paled and suddenly I felt weak. I know that voice. That smug attitude. Sully shot me a look as if to check on me and I turned to face the voice. That's when I caught his eye. Thanks to the heels I was about as tall as him. I imagined it was like looking in a mirror. Rafe looked caught off guard, as if for once he didn't know what to say. I hadn't seen him in years. I tried to block out every bit of news that got out about him. Only ever hearing how he was still searching that damned cathedral for Avery's treasure. "Holy shit. Mara?" Is all he managed to breathe out. Nadine shot a glare his way and he quickly recovered the best he could.

He began a spiel with Sullivan, giving me a small window to escape to the bar. My head was spinning and my chest tightened. I got a drink and tried to catch my breath. The alcohol burned just enough to distract me for a moment. Suddenly I felt a hand on my lower back, and the smell of cigarettes suffocated me. I turn to see Sam smiling coyly at me. "You know, drinking on the job isn't very professional." He joked. Although his expression gave away that he could sense something was up.

"Nadine partnered with Rafe. I know you two have some history. He's over there with Sully." I informed him, motioning towards the three of them. Telling him of Rafe seemed to make him nervous. The smile was quickly wiped off his face and his jaw tensed up. He pressed his hand harder into my back and leaned down so he could somewhat whisper in my ear. His hot breathe tickled my skin, and I was once again engulfed in the smell of tobacco.

"Just try to stay away from him. I'm gonna go get in position." He looked me in the eyes and gave me a reassuring nod. "Time to steal a cross." And with that, he took off into the crowd.

Sam has no idea the history I have with Rafe. Sam was dead, or was assumed to be, when I got with Rafe. Nathan was at the end of his rope. Dealing with the loss of his brother meant he wasn't on his game, so I was called in to help excavate that site. Try to piece together any clues we found. But it never went anywhere. The longer we went on with no leads, the more frustrated Rafe got. Eventually that frustration tore us apart.

Before I knew it the auction was beginning, with the cross up first. People gathered around the front as I made my way back to Sully. I kept my eye out for the hot-headed brunette to make sure we didn't have another encounter.

"Nate needs more time, gonna have to get into a bit of a bidding war with Rafe." Sully told me as I stuck to his side once more.

"And what if he calls your bluff?" I questioned. Sully gave me a look as if to ask if I were serious.

"We're stealing the damn thing remember?" Sam whispered into the earpiece. I smiled slightly at my own stupidity. The announcer began the bidding. Rafe clearly frustrated that Sully was outbidding him. Rafe called for 500,000 euros, obviously setting it too high for us. He turned with his arms open towards Sully and I. Our eyes locked. Rafe's had an evil glare behind them. He's out for blood. He shot me a smile and I ripped my eyes from his.

"You had me worried there, Sullivan. Thought I might have to kill you!" He called from across the crowd, with a joking tone. But I knew he wasn't. No one else could tell, they just laughed along.

Sully briefly cover his mouth with his hand, pretending to scratch his mustache, to conceal his words to Nate. "Alright. Let's ruin this asshole's night."