Chapter Three: The Art of Desire

As the backup generator cast light back on the room, chaos erupted. The cross was gone as Sully, Sam, and I snuck back into the cellar. We didn't have much time before this entire place would be on lockdown. Now it's time for the getaway.

"Alright. I'll get with Nathan. Sully and Mara, you two get a vehicle and meet me out front. We don't have much time." Sam ordered as he rid himself of the excess waiter garments.

Outside I heard someone yelling just outside the door. Rafe.

"Alright, be careful. The guards aren't the only ones on our asses." I said as Sam gave me a nod and took off.

Sully and I exchanged nervous looks and proceeded to the front. Luckily we blended in with the frantic crowd. We locked arms again as we hurried through the compound.

"Wait, did you even bring a car here?" I asked Sully, realizing I hadn't considered he might've gotten dropped off.

"I uh...acquired some keys. Just don't know what god damn car they're too." Oh great. "It shouldn't be too hard to figure out, just hit the panic button and follow the noise." He assured me.

As we got closer to the front, I heard gunshots ringing out and my head snapped to where the shots came from. "That's gotta be Sam and Nate." I breathed out before turning to Sully. "You go get the car, I'm gonna go help them."

"Are you out of your mind? You don't even have a weapon!" He exclaimed. I smirked before pulling up my dress slightly to reveal a holster and a gun resting inside it. He chuckled. "Well I'll be damned. You stay safe."

With that, I took off towards the shots. I took out my gun and burst in the ballroom, being met with gunfire. Sam was in front of me using a column as a shield. He looked at me confused as I ducked behind it with him.

"What the hell are you doing?" He shouted over the shots ringing out. One got too close for comfort near me and he yanked me closer to him.

"I'm helping you asshole." I peaked out from the column and got one guy to our right. As I did that there was a loud crash from behind us. Glass flew everywhere as Nathan rolled onto the floor next to us. He took cover as bullet hailed his way. "Nice of you to join us." I commented.

"Jesus Christ! Nathan!" Sam called out from next to me.

Nathan laughed exhaustedly, "Hey. How's it going?"

As we began shooting our way out, Sully chimed in through the earpieces. "The driveway's jammed. Everyone's trying to get out. There's that fountain outside the ballroom, meet there."

Sam tapped my shoulder and motioned for me to follow his lead. We used anything we could as cover, making our way out of the ballroom. "We really fucked this place up, huh?" I joked as we exited the ballroom. Just as I thought we made in the clear, more guards pointed their weapons at us. We used an adjacent building as cover, with Nathan leading the way. Just as we approached the fountain, a huge white car trampled through the yard. "Holy shit Sully!" I exclaimed as I stumbled backwards. Nathan caught me and I regained my balance.

"Anyone order a limo?" Sully said as we ran up to the vehicle. The boys and I piled into the backseat as Sully tore out of the compound.

"Did we actually just get away with that?" I laughed in relief. Sam gave me a quick glance and chuckle in response.

We got back to the hotel we had booked and went up to the room. I kicked off my heels, my feet aching in pain. I dug through my bag for my painkillers, needing something to dull the feeling. I found them, popping one before joining the guys around the table. Laying in the middle of it was the cross. Sam picked up a hammer, then grabbed the cross. "I hope I don't go to hell for this." He remarked before hitting the top off the cross. He looked inside and his face dropped. "It's empty."