Chapter Thirteen: Explosive

Sam stuck close to me as we walked into the catacombs below. The darkness swallowed us instantly as the mercs with us drew their flashlights. My heart began to beat into my throat. It felt like we were leading straight to our deaths. I was losing control of my breathing as I tried to calm myself. Sam took my hand into his before giving it a squeeze. "You're fine, just take a breath." He whispered close to me as his thumb brushed over my hand. I closed my eyes for a moment and focused. I can't lose myself now. We're so close, I think, to all of this being a memory. Sully and Nate owe me big time for all this shit. 

We approached a collection of panels on the floor. I peered over to see spikes below them. "Avery's idea of a booby-trap I'm assuming." I mumbled. Sam nodded in response as he let out a sigh. Rafe pulled him away from me, our hands unlinking. They stood together, trying to figure out the puzzle at hand. 

I felt a presence next to me and I turned to see Nadine standing next to me. "I don't know how you got the both of them wrapped around your finger..." 

"Don't ask me." I responded, cutting her off. Her face was unreadable and she didn't press any further. She nodded ahead as Rafe began walking across. I caught up with Sam and we began together again. We all walked through a doorway, and as we distanced ourselves a mercenary set off dynamite, blowing out the doorway. I jumped and the area filled with dirt. "What the hell Rafe?" I coughed out. "Are you trying to have us buried alive?" 

"Please, don't be dramatic." Rafe snapped back at me. I let out a snark laugh.

"You're one to talk." I snapped back. He stopped in his tracks and turned around, walking unless there was no more space between us. 

"You're really lucky that you're too pretty to let rot down here." He seethed. He turned on a dime and continued. Sam rest his hand on my lower back and guided me as we made our way out of the catacombs. 'You're too pretty to let rot '  I mean who does he think he is? My jaw tensed and I stayed quiet. I glanced up at Sam and his face was fully concentrated on the back of Rafe. I could tell he was thinking, and lost in whatever thoughts were swimming in his head. 

Light began to illuminate the dark and I was glad to see it. I couldn't stand these catacombs, especially with the weird noises surrounding us. We approached the outside once again, now on the edge of a mountain. I noticed a weird looking mummy of sorts off to the side. I left Sam's side and approached it. Once I got close, the mummy illuminated. My eyes widened and I knew what was coming next. 

The mummy exploded. I tried to move but it all happened so fast. I felt myself hit the ground pretty hard. My ears rang out and everything faded. Last I knew both Sam and Rafe were screaming my name as everything went black. 

I woke up to my body feeling like it was on fire. My head was pounding as the sun burned my face. Then I realized I was being carried, and the weak scent of cigarettes surrounded me. I looked up to see Sam holding me. My slight movement got his attention, and a smile took over his stern face. "Oh thank God you're okay." He breathed out in relief. He stopped to set me on my feet as everyone came to a holt. I held onto him for support as I balanced myself. "Wasn't expecting exploding mummies now were you?" Sam joked. I looked up at him and we both plastered small smiles on our faces. 

"C'mon let's go. I don't have time to waste." Rafe ordered before moving forward. I held onto Sam as we began walking again. 

"I got a plan to get us out, I need you to be ready though." He whispered against me. I looked up at him and nodded. "I'm gonna use you as a distraction up here. They're gonna set up a little camp and that's when we make our escape. Just follow my lead..." We approached a small area where a truck was waiting for us. Rafe and Nadine began walking over to the truck, but not before Rafe barked at a merc to keep an eye on Sam and I. The two of them and another merc walked out of sight. 

Sam and I locked eyes and he gave a nod. I stumbled forward a bit and fell to the ground. The mercenary turned and bent down to help me. That's when Sam beat him down and took his gun. Sam pulled me up and we bolted through an opening in the rock. Yelling erupted behind us as bullet hailed past. "Shit!" I yelled as one nearly missed my leg. Sam took my hand and we jumped down, running down the cliffside. 

We took cover behind a rock briefly, and I turned to see Nathan and Elena below us. "Sam, look!" I called, pointing to them. 

"We're back baby! C'mon!" He yelled excitedly. We made out way back down. Together we took down a few mercs, ending with a new shotgun in my possession. We climbed aboard an old ship and that's when I heard yelling. I turned around to see Nathan and Elena making their way to us. I jumped back off the ship. "What the hell are you doing?" Sam called. I pumped the shotgun, taking out a few men. I came face to face with Nathan again and I smiled wide, as did he. 

"I can't believe you survived that." I smiled. 

"All thanks to her." He looked over at Elena. Her and I exchanged smiles as Sam yelled at us. We climbed back up the ship. 

"You're a sight for sore eyes." Sam greeted his brother. "Did you find my lighter?" He asked as an explosion rang through the old structure. We all took cover immediately. 

"You'd think they'd eventually give up." I chuckled. 

We made it through, but Nathan got separated on our way out. We ran towards town, on the outskirts. I could hear what sounded like a truck, and I could sense Elena's worry next to me as we trekked up some small cliffs. "Over here!" She called as we reached the top. She was ahead of Sam and I. I looked up at Sam, but he seemed distracted. As we approached a small archway, I could hear what sounded like Sully and Nate. "He helped cover." She explained as Sam and I joined the party. I moved away from Sam to give him and Nate a moment. 

Sully explained where he parked the plane, and we barely got moving before Sam stopped us. "Woah, woah, woah. What are we doing? We could head in that direction, which is a short cut." He rambled, pointing the opposite way. 

"Sam you can't be serious..." I trailed. I know Sam's greedy, but I thought almost losing his brother and myself that maybe something would change. 

"You don't know when to quit." Sully chimed in. They took turns turning down Sam when Nathan finally interjected. They spoke quietly to each other, before Sam turned around and asked Sully where the plane is. Sully led the way as Sam and I followed. 

"No amount of treasure is worth losing your life." I mumbled to Sam. He sighed and looked out towards the ocean. I was expecting a comeback, but it never came. He just stayed silent next to me as we made our way through town. 

We came across some type of trolley system. Nathan crossed over to pull it, as Sam, Sully, Elena and I piled on. Sully, Elena and I made it across, while Sam stayed on. Nathan tried making his way up when it snapped. Nathan made it across, but Sam got stuck on the other side. That's when I saw him glance back at the mountain, and I knew exactly what he was thinking. 

"Sam, don't you even think about it!" I cried out. 

"I'm sorry I got you into this, all of you. I gotta see it through." Sam sighed. Nathan yelled at him as I felt my chest shatter. 

"Sam, if you do this, I'm not forgiving you!" I called out sternly, trying not to choke on my words. 

"...I love you. I'm sorry." He spoke before disappearing out of sight. Now he decides to tell me. That stubborn asshole. I turned to Nathan, feeling more defeated than ever. We looked at each other and knew what was coming. 

"Let's go."