Chapter Eight: Wounds

Sam walked into the room to check on Nate as I sat back down on the lounger. I leaned back and looked up as the stars began bursting into the dark sky. I brought my fingers to the wound Sam examined earlier. My fingertips barely brushed it when the pain shot through my face. I winced in pain and bit my lip. My worry over Sam coming back alive drowned out the sting, but now I could feel it in all its glory. 

I heard the door open behind me and I turned to see Sam waving me in. Nathan was sitting at the desk hunched over maps when I walked in. He didn't acknowledge me. Not surprising, he went through hell tonight. I walked into the bathroom and leaned over the sink. I peered into the mirror at my appearance and groaned. I look like shit. 

Sam walked in behind me and set his hand on my hip. He used his other hand to pat the countertop. "C'mon, hop up. I'll clean it for you." 

I let out a chuckle and he looked at me funny. "Oh you were serious?" I asked, my smile growing. He rolled his eyes and took his hand away from my side. 

"You know I'm trying here." He sighed, but I could see a smile tug at his lips even though he fought it. I turned around to face him and pushed myself up onto the counter. 

"Of course I know that. I still have to give you a hard time." I told him, setting my hand on his cheek and grazing his bottom lip with my thumb. 

"Well you're good at giving me a hard..." He trailed as I shot him a glare. He let out a light laugh before leaning over and wetting a wash cloth. He raised it to my cheek and I flinched. He whispered an apology before continuing gently. I gripped his t-shirt as he continued to work on my cut. He really focused in on making sure every little scrape or cut on me was cleaned and checked out. "Alright, I think you're fixed up the best I could." 

"Thank you Dr. Drake." I said seductively with a laugh. Sam pat my thigh before giving it a squeeze and putting the cloth away. 

"I'm gonna shower before hitting the hay, you're more than welcome to join." He informed me before walked towards the shower. I peered into the room to see Nate still hunched over the desk, shuffling some paper. I slowly closed the door to the bathroom and Sam chuckled. I walked towards him as he pulled his shirt over his head. That's when I saw all the cuts and bruises painted over his body. My face dropped as I reached out to a bruise sitting just below his heart. "I'll be alright. Don't even feel them." He mumbled. 

"They really got us both good today, huh?" I tried to find humor in my tone, but there wasn't any. I'm exhausted. We have such a long journey ahead and yet, it feels like we should be at the finish line. Sam gave me an apologetic smile before starting the shower. We both got undressed, with Sam stepping in first. I reached over and grabbed the washcloth he used for me. I got in and he looked confused. "I get to clean your wounds now." 

He smiled slightly and his lips parted as if he were about to talk, but he closed them. He put his hands down to his side in defeat. I took the cloth and gently swiped it over the cuts along his chest. Sam didn't budge, his breathing didn't change, not a single sign he was bothered. I guess he really doesn't feel them. "You know... I've never been this, uh, vulnerable with someone. Not even with my own brother." Sam spoke softly. I looked up at him, the hot water creating steam around us.

"Well I'd hope you're not showering with Nathan." I teased.

 He shook his head before continuing. "You've done something to me. Like you're a witch." His words were playful, but sincere. In all of the time I've spent alone with Sam, he hasn't been this serious. I reached my hand up, resting my fingertips on the birds inked into his neck. I saw his lips twitch into a smile as mine did. 

"Well I certainly didn't think I'd be sharing a shower with you when I took this job-" As the words left my lips, Sam pulled me close to him. So close that there wasn't any space between us. He leaned down and kissed me. This kiss felt heavier than all the others, almost like there's desperation behind it. He hooked his hands under my thighs, lifting me up. He pressed us against the wall of the small shower. "Sam." I breathed out, pulling away. "What's going on?" 

Our eyes locked and mine must've widened. His eyes were dark, the pupils practically taking over his colorful irises. "I just... I need you." 

Our lips met once again as Sam turned the shower off. I stepped out, taking one of the towels to dry myself. Sam reached over me and grabbed another for himself. "I hope for Nathan's sake he's asleep." Sam spoke with a chuckle. I gently slapped his stomach and he threw his hands up in defense. We exited the room to find it empty. "He must be outside." Sam said before getting dressed. I walked over and examined the desk where Nathan was so focused. He stacked all the papers together, with his notebook sitting on top. 

"I'll talk to him once I'm dressed." I told Sam as I pulled some clothes out of my bag.

"I feel like shit. Did I really just ruin his marriage?" Sam sighed. 

"You didn't ruin anything. It's just a bump, or a pothole, in their relationship." I assured him. Sam didn't seem convinced as he sat on the bed. I finished getting dressed before folding our towels. I put them in the bathroom and waved over to Sam. "I'm gonna talk to him. I'll be back." 

"You better be!" Sam called as I exited the room. Nathan sat on the lounger Sam occupied earlier. 

"Is this seat taken?" I asked as I approached him. Nate simply motioned towards the empty seat next to him as I sat down. "How're you feeling?" 

"Not great." He sighed. "I really messed things." 

"She'll forgive you Nate. Trust me. I know I wouldn't be able to stay mad at you." He looked over at me briefly before back to the night sky. 

"I hope you're right." Is all he replied with. I stood up and rest my hand on his shoulder.

"You should take a shower and head to bed. Long day tomorrow." I suggested. He nodded and stood up, following me to the door. Nate grabbed my arm to get my attention and I turned around. 

"How are you doing? With Sam, and now Rafe is back-" 

I cut him off. "I'm fine Nathan. I promise." With that we headed into the room. Sam sat up in bed, with the papers from the desk sprawled out around him. Nathan darted into the bathroom as I joined Sam on the bed. Of course he picked the one closest to the window.

"Maybe, just maybe, you don't have to look over those papers for every little hidden clue possible. Instead, you could just go to sleep?" I proposed. Sam sighed, knowing I'm right. He collected the papers before walking them back over to the desk. I laid down in bed and looked out at the night sky, the moon shining through the window. Sam crawled into bed beside me, wrapping an arm around my waist. I leaned into him and soon felt myself drift to sleep

The next morning we got to the coast early. Nate and Sam haggled with a man we were getting a boat from, surely getting ripped off in the process. They finally secured a deal and we were off. The sun beat onto the boat as the salt water splashed into the air around us. Sam captained as Nathan sat back. I stood next to him and watched the water. "Nathan! Land ho!" Sam called. Nathan walked up, joining us to see the mountains in the distance. "Here, take the wheel." Sam told him before walking to the back of the boat. "I don't think we've had a chance to appreciate how far we've come." He continued, walking back with beers in his hand. 

"When and how did you sneak these on?" I asked as he pushed one into my hand. Sam put a finger to his lips and shushed me quietly with a smile. 

"Sic parvis magna." Sam cheered, raising his bottle. 

"Sic parvis magna." Nathan and I repeated as we clinked bottles. I took a swing as Nathan raced the boat off towards the islands ahead.