Chapter Six: Normalcy

Sam and I had fallen asleep leaning against one another on the way back to Italy. I was woken up by his weight moving beneath me once we landed. I slowly sat up and wiped the sleep from my eyes. "Well good morning sleeping beauty. Well, good evening I suppose." Sam greeted me with a low chuckle. I ran my fingers through my hair to fix what happened during my nap before turning to him. 

"Are we in Italy yet?" I asked, still groggy. Sam nodded and I shrugged the blanket off my shoulders. "I need a shower. I smell like the ocean." I said with a laugh. Sam joined in and leaned in close to me. 

"Yeah you do kinda smell like fish." He smirked. I rolled my eyes with a smile and scooted away from him. 

Sully landed the plane and we all piled out. We got in a taxi and headed to the hotel. Once we checked in I hurried to my room. I took my time in the shower. Once I got out and dried off, I threw on some leggings and a t-shirt. I began looking at the room service menu when there was a knock at my door. I knew exactly who was there. I walked over and opened the door to reveal Sam. His hair damp from a shower, and he stood in only a white undershirt and jeans. I moved aside so he could walk in. I closed the door and followed him to the bed where he plopped down onto his back. I climbed up and laid on my side next to him. 

"Hi." Sam smiled at me. He looked exhausted yet so full of life. I leaned towards him, my hand caressing his stubbly jawline. 

"You don't smell like cigarettes right now." I pointed out. He chuckled before patting his front left pocket.

"I can change that real quick." He teased. "By the way, the secret is out. Nathan knows we're, uh, whatever we are." 

I nodded at his statement. "Yeah I figured. Where are him and Sully by the way?" I asked.

"Cleaning up and then grabbing dinner. They thought you and I would want some alone time." He explained. 

"Wanna order room service?" As soon as I asked him his smile grew and I got my answer. 

We had ordered and eaten too much food. We laid together in bed, watching some drama that played on TV. Sam shifted beside me and I looked up at him. He sighed before asking me, "Do you....Are you still in love with Rafe?" 

I snorted at his question and he gave me a funny look. "No I'm not in love with him. Do I have a soft spot for him? Sure. But that's only because he's the only person I've ever loved. I don't have feelings towards him anymore." 

"I mean at the auction you seemed startled after seeing him. Then there was the way you reacted when we overheard them in the cave. Plus he told Nadine not to touch you." He pressed. 

"One, I wasn't expecting to see him at the auction. Two, I really didn't need the image of them in my head and three, he probably told Nadine that so he could finish me himself." I disputed.

"Okay well do you think he loves you?" Sam questioned further. I'm curious why he's so hung up on Rafe. Rafe isn't the one I'm laying next to. 

"Why would he? It's been years since we were together. He's obviously occupied at the moment." 

Sam raised a hand to surrender. "I'm just picking your brain here." He smiled.  

"Do I get to pick yours next?" I asked him, gently running my fingers through his hair. 

"Have at it." 

"Why do you seem so concerned with Rafe?" He tensed up beside me like he normally does when I bring up him and Rafe.