Chapter Five: Confrontation

I followed the brothers out of the catacomb. As we reached the sunlight again, Nathan ducked down. Sam and I crouched with him, looking at tens of shoreline goons wandering the ruins in front of us. "Shit. Pretty sure they followed our trail." I mumbled. 

"Yeah well let's take them out and get the hell out of here. Split up, each take a side and we'll go from there." Nathan instructed. I nodded and took right as they took center and left. 

We snuck through, quietly taking out the men when we got the chance. Once they weren't a problem anymore we all met at the top of the stairs, in front of a large door. The boys held it up as I crawled through and then returned the favor. And so we began our journey to the cave. There was nothing but rocky cliffs in our way.

Nathan walked ahead of Sam and I, leaving us with too much space. I shoved my hands into my jacket pockets as the wind cut through me. Sam got closer to me, putting his arm around me to warm me up. "You know you don't have to act like this." I whispered. 

"Act like what?" He questioned. 

"You know, constantly being touchy and smiley, kissing me goodbye last night, it's not like you're my boyfriend or something." His arm left my side the moment my words left my mouth. 

"I thought we had like a thing going." He mumbled, even walking a little farther away from me. 

"We slept together Sam, I didn't think it was that big of a deal." He laughed quietly as I said that. 

"It's not just that we slept together it's the flirting, the looks you give me, the way you smile at me. I just..." He trailed before shaking his head. "I thought there was some sort of connection. Maybe I've just been around men too long." He joked. 

I stayed silent as I processed what Sam just said to me. He picked up the pace to catch up to Nathan, forcing me to do the same.  

We finally approached the cave after what felt like years. We had to go through a lot of rocks and cliffs, not to mention Nadine's men. Nathan got reception to Sully on the walkie, letting him know we're entering the cave. I walked into the cave, escaping the sharp wind outside. Sam followed me into the cave and I turned to him. He laughed and I looked at him confused. "What's so funny?" 

"Ah, I just noticed how you look like Rudolph right now." He said with a big grin before extending his hand and poking my nose. I felt my cheeks heat up and I turned away from him. 

"You're such an asshole." I scoffed, although I wanted to laugh with him. 

As silence fell between us again, Nathan joined us. We ventured into the cave, sliding between a small space in the wall. Statues of Dismas greeted us. "Safe to say we're in a pirate cave." Sam said as we descended downstairs. At the end of the stairs lies a door, with a hole in the wall next to it. Nathan walked up, shining his light in the hole before reaching his hand in. 

"A little slimy. There's a handle or something in here." Nate grunted, feeling around the small space. 

"Well, uh give it a pull." Sam suggested. Nathan looked at Sam as if he were crazy. 

"And what if it's a trap? I could lose my hand." 

"So we'll get you a nice hook." Sam joked. 

I rolled my eyes. "Either pull the damn thing or I will." With that, Nathan mumbled an "alright" and pulled the handle. The door rolled open and we all smiled with excitement. Nathan walked in first, but not before wiping his hand on Sam's jacket. Sam looked at him in disbelief and then at me as I giggled passing him.