Chapter Fifteen: Those Who Wait

I sat down on the plane and felt a tear escape my eye. I didn't want to leave Sam, it killed me to. I also knew that if I stayed and continued risking my life right now, I'd end up losing it. My leg was barely held together, my whole body ached and is plastered with various bruises, scrapes and cuts. I'm just plain exhausted.

I got back to Miami, greeted by the thick humidity in the air. I called a car to my house, the one I hadn't seen in what felt like years. I walked inside, locking the door behind myself. I stalked through the empty house to my bedroom; throwing my bag onto the mattress. Unloading that bag can wait until tomorrow, or maybe even next week. I walked back out to the living room before sprawling across the couch. I felt my eyelids become heavier and heavier. Before I knew it, I was dead asleep. 

The next morning the sun burned through the windows, waking me up from my slumber. I rubbed my eyes as I sat up from the couch. I looked around as I regained consciousness of my surroundings. I'd forgotten what it's like to be in a house, well, my house. I stood up and made my way back to the bedroom. I unzipped my bag and noticed a note inside, slightly crumpled from traveling. I unfolded and smiled at the words scratched onto the paper. 

Mara

I wanted to give you a little surprise for the road. I know you wouldn't accept it if I gave them to you face to face. Don't spend it all in one place. 

I love you

Sam 

I put the note down on the bed before reaching into the bag. Tucked neatly under where the note was lied a clothed. I unraveled the bundle of fabric to reveal three gold coins. Avery's coins. I chuckled to myself as I examined them. "How the hell did you make out with these?" I asked as if Sam was in the room. I wrapped them in the cloth before placing them in the bag once again. 

I sat on the edge of the bed and looked around. I couldn't stay here. This place isn't home to me anymore, hasn't been for a while. I took in a deep breath before pulling my phone out of the bag. I scrolled till I found an old realtor of mine in the contacts. I took one last look around the room I sat in before dialing the number. 

November

"So, this is your retirement, huh?" Nadine asked as she took in the busy street around us. 

"St. Augustine is rich with history my friend." I reminded her as I took a sip of my beer. It was finally starting to get cold out. The sun shined enough to keep us warm. Nadine insisted on eating our lunch outside.

"Also rich with tourists." She snarked as I laughed. Nadine's become an unlikely friend of mine. She did keep her word that she'd stay in touch. "Where's your little boyfriend anyway?" 

I could feel my face drop as I shifted in my seat. I hadn't heard from Sam since our departure in King's Bay. "Ohhhh..." Nadine trailed, the smirk apparent just in her tone. 

"He's... he's off God knows where. Nathan got a letter a few weeks ago assuring that they're okay, but I haven't heard anything." I sighed before taking another drink. This woman will do anything to shit on Sam. 

"There's probably plenty of bachelors in this area." Nadine stated, sitting up. Our waiter brought us our meals and left promptly. "Him being one of them I'm sure." She stated, glancing over the man as he walked away. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head lightly as I picked up my fork. 

"You can have fun banging the waiter, I'm good." I assured. I saw her lips twitch into a smile before she began eating as well. 

"I'm just saying, if you haven't heard from the man by now, you probably won't. He could be dead in a ditch somewhere and yet you're over here saving yourself for him." She shrugged. I knew deep down Nadine's right, I just didn't wanna believe it.