Something New

"She was beautiful, in the quiet way that lonely, unnoticed people are beautiful to those who notice them."

-Jedediah Berry

I don't say anything in reply to Reed's wish of happiness for me. I simply nod slowly, trying to keep my face passive, as he continues.

"The thing is, though, I kind of have given my heart to a girl already," Reed tells me. He's looking at me a little strangely, as if his words are weighted with some sort of meaning I'm supposed to get. "It's been hers for a long time, but I don't think she even realizes...."

I feel my stomach twist in knots. Why is he telling me this? I don't want to know about his romantic interests; they don't involve me in any way, and it makes me uncomfortable. It's just not a topic I think about much or ever really discuss. After all, it isn't like I have a lot of female friends... and Dylan isn't exactly one to discuss matters of the heart with.

I cast my eyes to the side, avoiding his gaze, and ask in a small voice, "Does she like the restaurant? Because that's kind of a big deal, right?"

"I'm pretty sure she does. Her smile seems to brighten up the place as soon as she walks in the front door." I'm not looking at him, but I can hear the smile in his voice as he talks about this girl. I'm guessing I haven't seen her yet and part of me wishes that I never have to. Still, I have to ask to know for sure.

"Have I seen her yet?" I ask casually. "Has she come in while I've been here?" I stare down at the floor, where my feet can't seem to stay in one spot from all the anxiety I feel. I don't know why I'm like this or why I'm being nosy about things. I barely even know Reed; it shouldn't matter to me at all if he "gives his heart" to some girl I don't know. She's obviously really pretty and nice; she's probably a lot more worthy than I am. Not that I've even considered being worth anything, anyway.

He's silent for a moment, then releases a small laugh as if he's happily amused about something. I look over at him and scrunch my eyebrows together in confusion. What is so funny about my question? I don't think it's very humorous at all. He answers with a nod, "Oh, yes. Yes, you certainly have seen her. Many times."

"Then why haven't you introduced us?" I question in a somewhat accusatory tone. I frown at him, but he just grins wider. "Does she even know you like her?"

"I didn't think it was...uh... necessary to introduce you," he answers, shrugging. He bites his lip to keep from laughing, then continues, "I had just assumed you'd figure it out on your own. And, I'm guessing she doesn't know at all. Though, I thought I was being pretty obvious-"

My eyes go wide in realization as I think of the only girl it can be. It all makes sense! She came in the first night, and I have seen her many times like he said. It was only for a few minutes, but Reed seemed really chummy with her; just like he is at school. And, really, she'd be perfect for him. "Oh! I think I know who you're talking about now...."

He raises his eyebrows at me and asks in an astonished voice, "Really?"

"You should just tell her," I advise. I turn my body towards him, tucking a foot beneath my lap. At least I know with this girl, I will still be able to work in the restaurant. I feel a little more relieved at that. I meet his eyes with mine. "I think Darla would be pleased to know how you feel about her-"

"Oh god!" Reed shakes his head and laughs. He sticks his tongue out as if the thought disgusts him. "I wasn't talking about Darla, Danielle! She's like a... a sister or something."

I narrow my eyes at him a bit angrily. I didn't think the thought was that out of the ordinary, really. Darla would be a nice girl for Reed. But she's probably not good enough for him; I bet it's one of the popular, pretty girls. I know he'd have no problem snagging one of them if he tried. I feel nervous all over again.