Chapter Thirty-four

~Ambers POV~

I've been waiting for this day to arrive for two weeks. Today is the day I finally get to meet my son in person, the day I get to hold him in my arms. Due to my medical condition, I haven't been able to leave my room to go see him, and the nurses weren't able to bring him to me because of his low birth weight.

I eased out of bed slowly, trying my best not to awaken Wonho. I was also trying not to reopen the stitches on my stomach like I did the last time when I rushed out of bed, trying to end my life. Furthermore, I didn't want anything to hamper my chances of seeing if the beautiful baby boy on Wonho's phone was really our son. I'm not saying that I believe that my husband has been lying to me for these past two weeks, but this was the only true way I was going to be able to dispel the cruel lie that my mom had told me.

It's absolutely mind-boggling how the mind tends to gravitate towards negativity rather than embracing moments of pure joy. It's almost as if my brain refuses to acknowledge the truth that my mother could deceive me about something as life-altering as this, without even a hint of remorse. And the overwhelming odds stacked against our baby's survival only made it harder for me to believe that he was actually alive.

I stood there, gazing at Wonho, silently observing his peaceful slumber. His strong physique seemed uncomfortably squeezed into the small, makeshift chair in my room. The desire to reach out and touch him consumed me, but I didn't because I knew that if I did, he would surely awaken and begin to scold me for getting out of bed without his help.

I snatched the vibrant yellow sundress from the depths of my closet, a gift from his grandmother yesterday and I walked into the bathroom to take a bath. Lately, his grandmother has been showering me with unexpected kindness, expressing remorse for her past mistreatment towards me. I was shocked when I found out that she was the one who saved my life two weeks ago. The revelation left me dumbfounded, questioning the catalyst behind her sudden change of heart. Regardless, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude towards her for preventing me from making a grave mistake. In light of her selfless act, forgiveness seemed like the only path to take.

"Amber, how many times have I told you not to take matters into your own hands?" Wonho's voice pierced through the air, his anger evident as he entered the cramped bathroom.

"I just wanted you to have some rest, babe," I tried to soothe him with a touch of sweetness.

Wonho shot back, his fingers skillfully untying the straps of my gown, "Your attempts to act sweet and innocent won't work on me this time. You have a caring and devoted husband right here, ready to take care of you. Please take advantage of the blessing you have. I don't want anything to hinder your healing process, my love." He gently took the soapy sponge from my hand.

"Standing here, looking incredibly seductive while trying to bathe me, isn't exactly helping me recover quickly," I teased. "I want you now!"

"I desire to make love to you, but not while you're in this vulnerable state. I want you to be fully healed, in the comfort of our bed, when I pleasure you beyond measure," Wonho said, a mischievous smirk dancing on his lips. With utmost tenderness, he proceeded to cleanse my entire body with the sponge.

Thirty minutes later, I was fully dressed and filled with anticipation. My heart raced with excitement as I sat in a wheelchair, my legs tightly pressed together. The electric energy coursing through me made every nerve tingle, heightening my senses. My devoted husband, a true partner in every sense, gently pushed me out of the room.

Our families gathered at the window of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, their eyes fixed on the room. Everyone was there, except for my mom. My sister and Julia, my closest confidante, hurried over as soon as they spotted us. Their beaming smiles radiated love as they leaned in to embrace and kiss me.