Chapter 9

July 1919

There was a small funeral for Ilya's father. He had been as old as dirt. But he peacefully died in his sleep and calmly. We would honor him. But of course this meant that we would not be moving to St. Petersburg. According the will, Ilya was the inheritor of the shoe-business his father owned and the house was also Ilya's.

"What do you mean you're evicting us?" Ilya's sister yelled.
"It means that you need to pack your crap and leave! You and your husband can buy a house like everyone else. The only person that's staying is our mother."
"Fine. We will leave. But we're taking mother with us. I have been taking care of our parents while you've been acting like Robin Hood! You're a horrible person, Ilya!"
"I could care less what you think of me, sister! You have three-weeks to leave my damn house! Do I make myself clear?"
"Jerk!" She screamed and stormed out of the living room. Ilya was in wrong, I believed. I'd at least give them more time to get settled. But I'm only fourteen and therefore, I do not get an opinion. Timofey stood by the sofa and put his hand on my shoulder.

We went outside and sat on the steps. We smoked a couple cigarettes together. It was cloudy and the ground was muddy. I liked the way it smelled outside. It seemed fresh and relieving. Out of nowhere, Timofey started to take the crutches off of me.
"What are you doing?" I asked him.
"You're going to walk properly today. No more crutches."
"No...I can not do it. I'll fall and have an injury."
"The ground is muddy and you won't bruise if you fall. I'm sure you'll be alright."
"Everyone says that until they are not alright." I murmured. Timofey put his hands under my armpits and then lifted me up on to my feet.

"Walk."
"I can't...I'm scared." I replied with worry in my voice. There was a small moment of silence.
Timofey whispered in my ear. "And that's why no one will remember your name. Scared men never get anything done or live a life they're proud of. Be brave and courageous. Never let your fear show, Alexei. You must try for yourself. Do what you want for yourself, not for others."
I took his words into consideration and perhaps he was right. I needed to be brave. Because being brave doesn't mean you're not scared; being brave means that you're willing to face it and push through it. So even though he was holding on to me, I started to push. I dragged each foot in front of the other. And soon, Timofey let go of me.
"Take your time. You're doing it! You're walking! My Lord, you're doing it!"
I stumbled a little as I walked but I really was doing it. I was walking for the first time since April 1918. There was so much relief and I would forever be thankful to Timofey. I truly never thought I'd walk again. But here I am now.

"What's going on?" Rodion asked as he stepped out of the house. I looked at him and gave a big smile. He smiled back and started clapping his hands.
"Look at that! He's walking like an old horse but before you know it, he'll be as good as new! What will you teach him next?"
I gasped and I sat myself back on the steps. "Oh! Can you teach me how to shave?"
"You don't know how to shave? Your parents really did not teach you anything, did they? But that's why you have me. I will be the older brother you never had. I'll teach you how to shave, how to ride a horse, how to use guns, and how to fight." Timofey held his pinky to me. I smiled again and interlocked my pinky with his. Timofey and Rodion were my newest and best friends. I'm thankful for their companionship, always.