Chapter 17

September 1928

My choice in houses were very particular. The next day, I found a real estate agent to take me to every house in Moscow. There weren't very many nice ones. The people who lived here were either rich or poor and no in between. But there was one particular house in the richer side of the city and truly tickled me.

"It's guarded by a fence?" I asked the real estate agent. He nodded and smiled at me brightly.
"Yes! There are four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a sitting room, a study, a basement, and a kitchen. There's also a small garage outside in the back. The house itself is six-hundred rubles plus some minor repairs-"
I put a hand on the real estate agent's shoulder. "I'll take it. I'll sign the lease and deed today if I have to."
The real estate agent shrugged.
"Well, you could sign it today and we could get a crew out to this house tomorrow to fix the electricity, yard, and plumbing. It'll probably take about three to four days. And the last owner still has their furniture in there. Would you like it?"
"How old is it?"
"The house hasn't been lived in since...1915 when the owner went to war and never came back. His family said the next owner can have his furniture."
I took out a cigarette, put it between my lips, and lit it. I took a king inhale and then a very deep exhale. "I'll take the furniture. I'll sign the lease and deed. But if I come to this house and it smells like complete dog crap, I will lose my marbles. Do I make myself crystal clear?"
The real estate agent gulped. "Y-Yes sir."

I practically lived in my hotel room the next few days. But my work was significant. I went through the newspaper and searched for people in need of any kind of work. It's honestly surprising how desperate people are to work for someone. I was able to hire a housekeeper, two maids, a cook, a butler, and two footmen. I met with them at different cafes and they seemed very kind and once again, absolutely undeniably desperate. And I was just in time to receive a telegram that the house was completely ready on the third day. So on the morning of the fourth day, I was ready to move in.

The house certainly was beautiful. Very "Imperial Russian". Upon arriving, the crew that came to clean up and fix the house were leaving. The real estate agent gave me the different keys to the house.
"Remember Citizen Savenkov, do not be surprised if you might have someone try and break into your home. Based on how many people live here in Moscow and dirty old apartments, you'd be the first person they'd hit. Be very careful of that. Alright we'll...that's it! You may come see me at my office if you have any questions. Have a wonderful day."
"Thank you, sir." I replied and shook the real estate agent's hand. I was left alone in my large house. The furniture was clean and seem to be in fairly decent condition. And with that, I kicked off my shoes and plopped myself down into the sofa. A sigh of relief to finally relax. But before I could get too comfortable. There was a knock on the door. My staff.

I got them settled in the basement. In the basement, there had been two mattresses that I allowed the housekeeper to sleep on one and the butler to sleep on the other. And until I could get more beds, my two maids and two footmen could sleep in two of the bedrooms upstairs. It seemed I had to do more shopping on top of every other thing I had to do. You know what they say: Alexei Romanov can never catch a damn break.