Chapter 13

November 1922

I was finally eighteen-years-old. I was officially a true adult and man. Once every week, I had to shave my face. I built muscle and ate every bit of food in front of me. I became a truly thief and smuggler. I had saved up to about one-hundred rubles. Also, I was very tall now. I was about 1,8' m. And that was very tall compared to how I was a few years ago. Oh, and the war was gone! The Russian Civil War was finally over with the Whites surrendering. The Bolsheviks took over and Communism ran through the country. They're considering changing the name of Russia but they're not quite sure yet. But our economy completely fell. Starvation and disease was rapid especially in the bigger cities. There are so many homeless people and the value of the ruble was practically nothing. Here in Tomsk, Ilya tried his best to find food for his men. But it was simply too difficult.

Ilya's mother passed in the Spring. A lot of the men moved upstairs. Rodion and I stayed in the basement with a few other people. We were saving up money together. Moscow was the Communist capital, as I called it, and that's where we were going. I decided that the only way I can be happy is if Yakov Yurovsky, Peter Ermakov, Grigori Nikulin, Mikhail Medvednev, and Alexei Kabanov got a taste of their own medicine. They were the Bolsheviks that took a large part in my family's execution. From what I read in the paper, they all lived in Moscow. At least, I hoped they all lived in Moscow.

"I have more money." Rodion said and pulled out our hidden jar of money from under his bed.
"How much?" I asked him.
"About thirty rubles. We can combine our money and buy an apartment in Moscow. We'll started a business." Rodion and I grinned at each other. That was another thought. I couldn't get revenge without allies. Rodion could help me.
I cleared my throat. "Rodion...would you like to help me get revenge?"
"On who?" As he sat on his bed.
"The men who killed my family. Will you help me?"
"How will you get revenge?"
"I'll make them suffer the way they made us suffer. I'm asking you to please help me. You're all I have in this life."
Rodion smiled and placed a hand on my shoulder.
"Alexei, there's nothing I'd love more. I'll help you. The only way we're gonna get revenge is if you get enough money to make them suffer. And then, the world will have to know Alexei Savenkov. I'm sure you'll figure it out."
I sighed and gave a weak smile. "What would I do without you?"
"Sweet Alyosha...you'd starve to death." Rodion weakly smiled back.
"Bastard." I laughed and hit him with my pillow. He started laughing too and hit me back with his. We stopped hitting each other with our pillows and exhaled deeply.
"So...how long will it take to get ready?" Rodion asked me.
"Estimating to about five or six years. But trust me, it'll be worth it."