two;

i've been watching it happen for about a week now. the routine is probably permanently memorized in my mind.

the light flickers in the trees, eventually goes out.

someone walks out of the woods, goes in the house.

they walk back out, holding stuff. sometimes talking to someone, sometimes not.

they walk back into the woods.

it frustrates me to the point i almost go over there to see who and what that person is doing. obviously, it has to be someone who lives at the house. but, maybe they don't?

i finally give up on simply watching and decide to go over. i creep out into my backyard and wait until the person walks inside the house. they take about five minutes inside, so i have to be quick.

i hear the crunching of dead leaves coming from the backyard and i clamp my hand over my mouth so they don't hear me breathing. the tall figure walks towards the house, heavily breathing. they swing the backdoor of the house open and gently close it, so it's not loud.

i take my chance to hop the fence and creep into the back woods. i glance back every once in awhile, nervous i'll get caught. adrenaline pumps through my veins as i search around the woods.

i get so into the looking, that i almost run into something. i look up, craning my neck to see what it is. a dangling ladder. i glance around quickly, then climb up to see where it leads.

up at the top is a small, yet comfortable treehouse. i poke my head through the trapdoor, looking around curiously. it's dark, but i climb in to take a look around.

in one corner is a sleeping bag and pillow on top of a blow up mattress. empty water bottles, dirty plates, and magazines line the mattress. earbuds, an ipod, and phone lay on top of the sleeping bag. in another corner is a hollow box. a cajon, i believe.

band posters line the treehouse walls. there is a small window that faces the house, with a single candle on the windowsill. that must be where the light comes from.

the view of the sky from the tiny window is breathless. you could see every star in the sky from just the there. the moonlight leaves a gentle glow on the treehouse.

lost in admiration of the cozy treehouse, i lose track of time. familiar footsteps walk towards the treehouse, and eventually the ladder starts to move.

my heartbeat is so loud, the person could probably hear it from inside their house. my breaths come out shaky as i panic, attempting to find a way out.

i turn towards the window, willing to squeeze my way through. about to stick a leg out, a terrifying voice comes behind me.

"what the hell do you think you're doing here?!"