twenty-one;

votes and comments are highly appreciated!

(back to bree's pov btw)

after third period, which was right after lunch, i made my way to my last class. alice came walking up to me with a glum expression.

"thanks," she mumbled and plopped my keys into my hand, turning away roughly.

"no problem?" i replied, saying it almost like a question. "did everything go okay?" i called after her as she walking away from me, her shoulders dropped.

"fine," she mumbled, barely audible.

"alice," i groaned and walked quickly to catch up to her. "what's wrong?"

"why should i tell you? you obviously don't tell me everything," she snapped, frowning.

"what are you talking about?" i rolled my eyes and standing in front of her so she wouldn't walk away.

"forget it," alice shoved her way past me and stormed off to her next class.

i let out a sigh of annoyance and walked towards my own class, tossing my keys into my bag.

thankfully, the last period went by in a blur and soon the final bell rang, dismissing us. i sighed with relief and walked out to the front of the school, where i usually find alice waiting for me.

this time she wasn't there, so instead of waiting on her, i just went straight to my car.

i tossed my bag into the bag and slammed the door shut, turning on the car. i sighed and turned up the volume of my
music in hopes to get my mind off of everything - even if i was kind of confused in general.

i began driving out of the parking lot, my mind blank. the routine numbed my head and i simply sat behind the wheel, staring straight ahead.

instead of heading towards my house, i just kept on driving towards the city. i wasn't really sure what i was doing, but i slightly relaxed in my seat.

i tapped my fingers against the steering wheel to my music and just drove.

***

i ended up just going in a big circle around the city and i finally headed back towards my house.

i felt my phone vibrate against my leg and i pulled it out of my pocket, answering the call.

"hello?" i asked rather bluntly, but i didn't care.

"ooh, someone's grumpy," ashton's teasing voice came from the other end, making me perk up a bit.

"sorry," i sighed. "it's just school."

"makes sense."

there was a lot of talking in the background when ashton talked, but i couldn't quite pick up any conversations.

"where are you?" i asked.

"oh," ashton coughed uncomfortably. "at work. yeah."

"where do you work? i can come entertain you or something. i have nothing better to do."