nine;

we climbed up into ashton's treehouse in silence, all sitting awkwardly on the floor. ashton was the last to climb up, making sure he closed the door behind him.

"okay, what is it, michael?" he asked, sitting on his makeshift bed. michael fixed his hair from underneath his hood, fumbling to find the right words.

"so, you know that i ran into him, right?" michael shifted awkwardly, glancing at me. ashton and luke nodded. "well, i don't know why he came back, but he seemed the same. sort of. i didn't even notice he was walking on the street until i literally ran into him. he was yelling about paying attention, then realized it was me, and starting shoving me and saying a few choice words before storming off."

there was an awkward silence as we took this in. "when did he come back?" luke asked, adjusting his snapback.

"i dunno. i don't like it, though. he shouldn't be around here again if he's going to do the same thing as last time," michael let out an exasperated breath.

"okay, okay. who are you guys talking about?!" i asked finally.

the boys all glanced at each other and let out a sigh in unison. "calum. calum hood," ashton eventually told me, running a hand through his hair.

my eyebrows furrowed, but then rose. "wait, the calum hood? the one that-"

"yeah, the one that got expelled for almost killing a student at our school. the one that continuously got caught smuggling drugs and drinking underage. the leader of that gang. yep, him," michael cut me off, disgusted at the talk of this guy.

i shut my mouth and dropped my eyes. "he hung around town for awhile, then disappeared. i don't know why he's back, but i don't like it. he'll just do bad things, like last time," luke broke the awkward tension.

"why are you guys so concerned about him? i mean, i know he's bad and all, but what did he do to you?" i frowned, slightly confused.

michael abruptly stood up and glared down at me. "how do you not know? how does she not know!?" he exclaimed, then turning to ashton, who had a distant look in his eyes as he stared hard at the ground.

"mike.. it's better she doesn't know," luke stood up, trying to calm michael down. "she'll just be in danger just like the other one!" michael exclaimed, gesturing towards me.

"in danger?" i managed to blurt out. "yes!"

"michael, now is not the time for this discussion," ashton spoke up, also standing up. "hell yeah it is! we're talking about him and what he did last time! history could repeat itself," michael let out an obnoxious sigh.

"can you guys tell me what's going on? if i'm involved in this, i should be able to know what's happening!" i said as the boys continued to argue amongst themselves.

"not right now, bree. later, alright? i promise," ashton turned to me with pleading eyes. i sighed and nodded, making my way towards the treehouse exit. "where are you going?"

"a walk. i'll let you guys talk," i mumbled back, climbing down the ladder in a hurry. i turned and walked out of ashton's backyard and onto the sidewalk in front of our houses.

i stuffed my hands into my pockets and kept my head down as i walked down the sidewalk. i wasn't sure where i was going. after awhile, i ended up in our small town, just walking.

i stared down at my shoes and nearly crashed right into someone before they grabbed my shoulders.

"oh, gosh, i'm sorry," i quickly told them, glancing up at the person. "it's fine. maybe just keep your head up next time," the person, who turned out to be a guy, chuckled, dropping his hands from my shoulders.

"oh, uh, yeah. i guess," i laughed nervously as i examined him. he had dark brown hair with dark brown eyes, prominent cheekbones, and a couple tattoos visible underneath his black band tee.

"what's your name?" the guy asked. "bree," i answered simply. "well, it's a pleasure to meet you bree. i'm calum."

***

hood is in da house

i apologize for not updating.. i get unmotivated.. a lot. lol

alright byee

~darby:-)