Chapter Twenty-Five

I was in a fantastic mood on Sunday, along with everyone else who'd attended the meeting in Hogsmeade. I decided to dedicate the day to college applications, since I almost never felt like doing those, and I actually got a rough draft of my essay for MIT done before calling it a day.

I woke up Monday morning for my run with Jackson, only to find I wasn't the only one up and about. The twins were sitting in a corner of the Common Room, apparently working on stuff for their jokeshop.

"Hey guys," I said, smiling as I walked over to them. "What the hell are you two doing up?"

"We wanted to get some work done without Hermione breathing down our necks," said George.

"You're lucky we decided to get an early start today, Lex," said Fred, kicking back in his seat to look at me. "I'd hate to think what would've happened if you'd been alone down here when you finally read
the message board."

"When I- What? What are you talking about?"

The twins didn't answer. Instead, they just pointed at the House message board together, apparently waiting for me to figure it out for myself. I gave them a weird look, then headed over.

It didn't take me long to find what they wanted me to see. A giant sign was posted in the center of the message board, essentially blocking out every other notice people had put up there. It read:

--- BY ORDER OF ---

The High Inquisitor of Hogwarts

All Student Organizations, Societies, Teams, Groups, and Clubs are henceforth disbanded.

An Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club is hereby defined as a regular meeting of three or more students.

Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor (Professor Umbridge).

No Student Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor.

Any student found to have formed, or belong to, an Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-four.

Signed:

Dolores Jane Umbridge

HIGH INQUISITOR

My brain short circuited. I just stared at the board, rereading the message since it really didn't sink in the first time. After a few more seconds of standing frozen in front of the board, I couldn't help it.

I started laughing.

It was not the kind of laugh that came from hearing a funny joke. It was a more stressed, unhinged sound, but I couldn't stop myself as I turned around to look at the twins.

"This is just perfect! Just too fucking perfect, isn't it? We form the defense club, and then not two days later, she puts this notice out? And what the hell is educational decree number twenty-four? They just keep making shit up to counter us every time we try to do something!"

The twins stood up and came over to me, looking seriously concerned.

"Alexa, it's alright. We're gonna be fine," said George. He moved to put a hand on my shoulder, but I stepped out of his reach.

"No, it's not! The entire government is working with that horrible witch to fight a bunch of children while VOLDEMORT HIMSELF IS OUT THERE TRYING TO KILL US ALL! How stupid can these people get?"