Chp:-6 Coffee Maniacs

AKANKSHA KAPOOR

I wore a bitterlime mustard yellow & grey solid top with culottes. I was very sceptical about the outfit advika had chosen. I mean casual attire for an outing sounds fine right?

I called Advi this morning and told her about Nirav and me going out to Ramashraya for coffee tasting. I asked her to help me decide what to wear. I wanted to call and tell her yesterday but didn’t because I was not sure whether to tell anyone or not. Advi was so happy for me and she gave me a lot of tips and notes. I told her to keep this a secret from everyone. She kept on saying that it’s my first date and I should agree to Nirav if he asks to go somewhere after having our coffees. I know Nirav asked me to take him to Ramashraya but it's not necessary that this is a date, it is just a friendly outing where two coffee maniacs are going to drink filter kaapi and talk about coffees I guess. I'm still wondering why he wants to go out with me?

He's such a charming, amiable, smart and funny guy. He's a socialite which I'm absolutely not and he can have any girl he wants then why me? I snapped out of my thoughts when my phone beeped. I checked my phone and opened whatsapp. Nirav's text was on top.

Nirav - I'm outside your house. Come out.

Me - okay coming.

I checked my appearance one last time in front of the mirror after feeling satisfied enough I walked out. I told my Taiji that I'm meeting Sam and Addy. I came outside the house and then found Nirav's car a little away from my place. I quickly walked towards his car and knocked and got in.

Nirav said, "Hey Akanksha."

I said, "Hi Nirav." I felt my cheeks reddening.

Nirav said, "You're looking nice." How easily he talks and complements people!

I said, "uhm....th...thanks. Y...y..you look goo....good t...too." I hesitantly said. He looked beyond good. He was really charismatic.

Nirav just chuckled and said, "thanks. If you know the direction then help me out."

I nodded and gave him directions towards Ramashraya and we also talked on the way about basic stuff. We reached there in half an hour, luckily there was no traffic today.  I made him park the car at a safe spot and  then we got out of the car and walked towards Ramashraya.

I said, "it's not an ambient place but the food and the coffee here is to die for."

Nirav said, "that's okay for me, the food quality matters more than ambience."

I said, "I'm glad to know that. Food quality matters more than ambience, I agree."

We entered the restaurant and got seated. The waiter gave us the menus and mineral water.  I gave back the menu to the waiter as I know what I want.  Nirav was glancing at the menu.

I asked, "Have a look and tell me what you'd like to order?"

Nirav said, "yeah why didn't you take a menu?"

I said, "me, Addy and Sam come here a lot. I know what to order. You please have a look and decide what you want."

Nirav said, "do one thing you only order as you know better."

I said, "uhm...are you sure?"

Nirav said, "Yeah I'm sure." He smiled.

I said, "which idli, dosa or vada?"

Nirav said, "I guess either idli or masala dosa."

I called the waiter and ordered a ghee roast dosa for myself as I really really love it and then I ordered Mysore masala dosa for Nirav as it's really yummy. I asked him to get the filter kaapi as soon as we're done eating.

Nirav said, "So tell me how many types of coffees have you tried till date?" He asked while sipping his mineral water.

I said, "well I've tried Espresso, Latte, Cappuccino, Flat White, Frappe, Mocha, Americano in the USA, Arabica and Robusta in India, Café au lait, Long Black, Piccolo Latte which is nothing but Macchiato, Irish Coffee, Mochaccino in UK, Ristretto, Short Macchiato, Long Macchiato in Australia."

Nirav said, "woah, that's super impressive. Which one do you like the most?"

I said, "For me nothing beats the South Indian filter kaapi. It's the best in the world and the most underrated. Also, it's my favourite. Other than that, I do like frappes that too Starbucks Java chip Frappuccino and then I like  Caramel Macchiato but everything fails in front of the South Indian filter kaapi the smell itself is very refreshing and outstanding."

Nirav said, "hmm.... fascinating, very nice."

I said, "Now tell me about your coffee trials."

Nirav said, "well I've tried everything that you mentioned. I like Starbucks Vanilla Latte a lot other than that I like CAFÉ LATTE, Irish coffee, Americano and decaf. I also like Kopi O Siew Dai: Black coffee with less sugar, Kopi Kosong Peng: Unsweetened black coffee with ice which I had tried in Singapore."

I said, "wow that's interesting."

Soon our orders came and we started eating.

Nirav said, "wow the food is so damn tasty people who hate South Indian food  don't know what they're missing out on."

I said, "I'm happy you liked it. Would you like to taste mine?"

Nirav said, "uhm sure taste mine too."

We took a bite from each other's plates and tasted. The food was really amazing. After finishing eating I called the waiter and asked him to get coffee. He cleared our table and went.

Nirav said, "can't wait to try the South Indian filter kaapi."

I said, "you'll be a fan of it I'm damn sure."

Soon the aroma of coffee hit my nostrils and I was in a daze. The waiter brought our coffee and kept it on the table.

I said, "So here's the classic bubbly, aromatic and amazing filter kaapi right in front of you, what are you waiting for, have it!"

I started sipping mine, it's absolutely heavenly.

Nirav said, "Damn the taste is as good as the smell oh my God." Nirav drank his coffee pretty quickly.

I usually drink slowly as I like to relish each and every sip.

Nirav said, "I'm calling for one more. Do you want one more? You know what, screw everything this is hands down one of the best coffees I've ever drank seriously." He ordered another cup of coffee.

I laughed and said, "No thanks, one is good for me. I knew that you would love it." He smiled. Then suddenly he looked at me intensely and I found myself staring back and we had a eyelock moment.

He cleared his throat and asked, “Would you like to go for a movie after this?”

“Which movie?” I asked quickly. Advi’s words were repeating in my mind. Agree to go somewhere with him. Look him in the eyes. Ask about his interests.

He said, “Whichever you want to watch. Comedy, ro-”

“Comedy.” I said cutting him off.

“Do you like andaz apna apna?” he asked

“I love that movie. It never gets old.” I said and sipped my coffee. The waiter bought his coffee cup. He asked the waiter for the bill and thanked him for bringing the coffee.

He copied me and drank his coffee sip by sip. At this point only one song came to mind. Coffee Peetey Peetey. Uff… it’s the perfect song for this moment. He paid the bill and then we went to sit in his car.

“Let's go to my penthouse to watch the movie.” he said and drove out.

OH LORD, WHERE IS THIS GOING......!!!