The Vampires of Venice [1]

After what happened at their home, Rowan has shut herself off in her room. The Doctor and Amy both tried to talk to her, with no result. To clear up the mess, The Doctor decided to go and get Rory. Now, after finally jumping out of the right cake, they are all in the Tardis. The Doctor somehow ended up hanging underneath the console, doing some welding. Rory and Amy are standing on the platform above him, Rowan still nowhere in sight.

"Oh, the life out there, it dazzles. I mean, it blinds you to the things that are important. I've seen it devour relationships and plans. It's meant to do that. Because for one person to have seen all that, to taste the glory and then go back, it will tear you apart. So, I'm sending you somewhere, together." The Doctor is rambling, so it takes Amy a second to understand what he just said.

"Whoa. What, like a date?"

"Anywhere you want. Any time you want. One condition. It has to be amazing. The Moulin Rouge in 1890. The first Olympic Games. Think of it as a wedding present, because it's either this or tokens. It's a lot to take in, isn't it? Tiny box, huge room inside. What's that about? Let me explain."

"It's another dimension," Rory says at the same time the Doctor starts his explanation.

"It's basically another dimension. What?"

"After what happened with Prisoner Zero, I've been reading up on all the latest scientific theories. FTL travel, parallel universes."

The Doctor almost pouts at the fact that he already knows the scientific explanation. "I like the bit when someone says it's bigger on the inside. I always look forward to that."

"So, this date. I'm kind of done with running down corridors. What do you think, Rory?" Amy quickly interferes before the Doctor can get upset.

"How about somewhere romantic?" And he pulls the lever to start the Tardis.

Rowan feels a light thud when the Tardis lands. Her curiosity outweighs her anger, and she leaves her room to see where they are. The Tardis is nice and put her room near the console room, so she doesn't have to walk very far. When she reaches the stairs, she catches a glimpse of Amy and Rory leaving.

The Doctor turns around, somehow sensing her presence. "Hey, you okay?" He asks in a calm voice, in fear of scaring her away again.

"Where are we?" She tries not to look at him but the screen, which he notices and quickly covers it.

"Why don't you go look?" He's glad that he doesn't have to talk about it just yet, but he doesn't like her being sad.

Rowan turns her gaze to the door. The offer is really tempting, too tempting to resist. So she walks outside to take a look for herself. Outside, a busy marketplace greets her.

"Venice." The Doctor made a little twirl while gesturing around himself with his hands. "Venezia. La Serenissima. Impossible city. Preposterous city. Founded by refugees running from Attila the Hun. It was just a collection of little wooden huts in the middle of the marsh, but became one of the most powerful cities in the world. Constantly being invaded, constantly flooding, constantly just beautiful. Ah, you got to love Venice. So many people did. Byron, Napoleon, Casanova. Ooh, that reminds me. 1580. That's all right. Casanova doesn't get born for a hundred and forty-five years. Don't want to run into him. I owe him a chicken."

Rowans head is spinning after that information dump.

"You owe Casanova a chicken?" Rory questions perplexed.

"Long story. We had a bet."

Suddenly, the Doctor gets stopped by an official. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Papers, if you please. Proof of residency, current bill of medical inspection."