Chapter 9

Byron

"I'm here to see Mrs. Johnson,"I said to the lady behind the desk.

She looked up at me and smiled. She was pretty as hell, she looked like she was from some type of island cause her skin tone was very tan, her hair was wavy and down her back, and she had almond shaped eyes that was gray.

"She's in her room, 151. Jus go down the hall and turn right. Its the second door on the left."

"Thank you....,"I looked at her name tag,"Samantha."

She nodded her head and smiled.

I headed towards room 151 and stopped when I was in front of the door.

I knocked twice and opened up the door to see her sitting in a recliner chair and reading a book.

I closed the door and she looked up and smiled.

"Byron I'm so glad to see you,"she smiled warmly and pulled me into a hug.

"How you been, Mrs. Johnson?"I asked as I sat down on the couch across from her.

She chuckled,"Boy you know you can call me Nancy, but I've been good son. What has been goin on wit you is the question?"

I sighed,"A lot has been goin on."

"Well lets start wit how Byron is doin?"

I chuckled a little,"I'm good I guess. I'm jus tryna cope wit everythig dat has been goin on."

She nodded,"So what has been goin?"

I gave her the run down about everything that has been going on.

"A fifteen year old son, huh?"

"Yea, his moms waited this long to tell me he's mine."

"You get a DNA test to be sure he was yours?"she asked with an eye brow raised.

"Yes ma'am I did, an I'm 99.9 percent his father."

I went and took a DNA test the same day me and Clayton went out to the mall and Friday's.

She nodded,"So when are you gonna get in touch wit Maniyah? She use to ask me all the time about you an her mother."

Both her and my face got softer when she brought that up. Nickole was a soft spot for the both of us, and whenever she was brought up in a conversation, our whole mood would change.

Nickole was my everything even if I use to be with other females. We was next door neighbors, we had that Love and Basketball relationship minus the basketball part.

We grew up with each other, and she got pregnant with Maniyah at the end of our freshman year of high school and had her in the middle of our sophmore year. She died a few minutes after Maniyah was brought into the world, and my world came crashing down.

"Dats what I came here for,"I replied,"I wanted to ask you if you could help me out wit dat."

She sighed and gave me that 'really nigga' look.

"I cant do dat son, but I can give you her number and you can call her and let her know. Byron you need to man up and do what you need to do. Its been fourteen years, and I can tell you dat she really wants to know."

I sighed. She was right I do need to man up. If I won't listen to anybody else, I know I would listen to momma Nancy since her and Maniyah is the only family I got on Nickole's behalf.

Nickole was barbadian (Is this what u call ppl frm Barbados? Cause idk) and most of her family was out there in Barbados. Only her, her mom, dad, and four of her ten siblings came to the states. (so there is 11 kids all together if anyone gets confused)