Chapter 3

Devavrata POV

The beauty of this place is incomparable to anywhere else I've traveled. The palace stands in the middle of the city, not far from the ghat, among the biggest attractions of the capital. I wish no more than to go and sit down near the water, to ease the weight on my shoulders.

I admit for once, Kripa's nagging has proved useful for my mental sanity. Not that I mind my duties back home, I enjoy them very much. But I also love being unshackled from them, something even a common peasant could understand when taking a day off from work.

I stare out towards the palace gates, both of my hands behind my back. Surely there was something I could be doing right now. Then again, I am existing. That should be enough activity for me.

"Oh, I beg you rajkumari please return that!" a voice echoes the wide corridor. Jewelry clinks louder and louder, clearly signifying some approaching company.

I could feel the impact as she crashed into me clumsily. With the hope that I might be able to steady both of us before we fall, my arms clutch onto her as my back hits a pillar. From the corner of my eye, I could see the young lady with a hand over her mouth.

"Tarini." She gasps. "I told you this was a terrible idea."

Not a moment later, the girl who bumped into me, Tarini I assume is her name, attempts to pull away and run off, though failing miserably, due to the fact her hair had managed to tangle itself into my ornaments.

She shrieks in pain, her fingers fumbling to the root of the problem. Much to her bad luck, it only got worse due to her intervention.

"Okay stop moving." I command, flicking her hand away from the lock of hair.

Her eyes rise to my face in shock at my tone. I ignore her and allow for my natural instinct to untangle it as painlessly as possible. She flinches multiple times, though to my credit, I doubt she could do any better.

"Forgive me..."

"Yuvraj Devavrata." I told her. "And I should be the one apologizing. I wasn't watching where I was going."

"Oh no Yuvraj. It is my fault due to the fact I didn't watch my step. I was the one raving through the corridor, and I was the one who wasn't careful." she denies.

"Tarini!" the other girl hisses, forcing me to tear away my eyes from the princess's face.

"Yuvraj..." she says, awkwardly. Suddenly overcome with the urge to clear my throat and escape this situation, I drop my arm from around her back, and push her away to a proper distance. Her green eyes lower to the floor, a blush painted onto her cheeks.

"I shall get going now, Your Highness." she nods, all but bolting in the opposite direction of myself.

The sound of her anklets remain, ringing in my ears like a melody. A smile proceeds to slide onto my face at the realization that I finally did something today. And it saved both myself and someone else from getting hurt.

Tarini POV

"Tarini, give me back the letter. I will be ruined if anyone else manages to see it!" Malti begs, chasing me through the grand corridor being decorated with flowers.

I snicker in response, and keep running, not realizing when I lose sight of where I am going. At first I thought I hit a wall, or one of the hundreds of pillars holding up the palace. Only when I attempt to pull away from whatever I smashed into, I realized what is a who. My cheeks heat up in embarrassment as I fumble with my stuck hair.

During my struggle, I hear Malti say something incoherent, and that is when a ferocious voice halts all of my activity.

"Okay, stop moving."