Chapter 7

Tarini POV

Words cannot express the overwhelming sense of relief that washed over me upon seeing Madrika and Kaushal still present in the palace.

She smiled seeing her husband return, and it did not falter when Sukriti followed him to the palace doors, leaning on a maid for assistance. Sumitra looks at the trio in mild surprise but shrugs upon realizing Madrika would have nothing to worry about. Much to everyone's relief, the new co-wives embraced each other warmly. Sisterly affection radiated off of them when Madrika gave Sukriti one of her two bangles.

"You deserve all the happiness in the world." she smiles, taking Sukriti's arm gently.

Sukriti grins, letting go of the maid. "Thank you jiji. I promise to not trouble you."

"Oh, you are no child. You can't trouble me!" Madrika laughs gently. "Now come along with me, I'll show you your room."

"Thank you," Sukriti says again, letting Madrika take her down the corridor.

We enter the palace finally, away from the public eye. Jyeshta looks at Sumitra and me, triumphantly sighing. "Thank the gods, they hit it off."

"Well little brother, I don't think I doubted the relationship they will share." Sumitra quips sarcastically.

I considered how to respond for a second. "It's good, they get along. I believe it is better that I was proved wrong because if my assumptions had proved correct, your household would've been in shambles."

Both of my siblings gauge their eyes at me in astonishment.

"No."

"Way."

They both exchange looks and then stare at me.

"She said something sensible?" Kaushalya, who I hadn't seen earlier, whispers behind me.

The silence bothers me, and their expressions make me uncomfortable. I tug at one of my loose hairs, and shrug, "I'm not that stupid... am I?"

And then they start laughing at me.

"SHE'S DONE IT!" Sumitra announces, clapping my shoulder.

Remind me... what have I done?

...

"Where are you going, Tarini?" Sumitra asks me, watching me adorn my hair with Jasmine flowers.

"Malti is getting married, I'll be back soon!" I reply, rushing off.

Devavrata POV

Dawn is long gone when we arrive back in Varanasi. Everyone is awake, and alert, ready to embark on their journey home. Though most left right after the ceremony, some, like myself, remained to personally congratulate the King.

My father had requested I'd do it in his place, feeling guilty that he couldn't go to bless the son of one of his friends.

Another of the notable man who remained, was, of course, the rather dimwitted Prince Gaoshik.

He's an awfully difficult pest to get rid of, I am learning. A rude and insensitive pest. He speaks with a few other men, making fun of a woman, who I assume to be Princess Kaushalya. Every insulting word that spills out of his mouth humors the other men, each I assume to be more spineless than Gaoshik himself.

"...and then I asked her if that stableman of theirs had caught her interest. She said no like the lying fool she is, and tried to explain to me, he was trying to steal her things that night. I refused, because you never know what goes down-" he tales, acting out his expressions perfectly.