Chapter 18

»»18««

The time flew so fast and it was already getting dark. It was the longest time I've spent outside. As Clyde promised, we went home when it reached six thirty pm. The rest stayed while we went to wait for a jeepney but unfortunately, the traffic and overwhelming people waiting for a ride like us made it harder. Luckily, we managed to ride a jeepney that stopped at our school. From then onwards, we walked home. 

As soon as we entered our village, I could feel my energy draining the closer we got to my house. I sighed as my vision blurries. 

"Napapagod ka na ba? Gusto mo bang buhatin kita?" He asked, worried is etched in his face. Palagi nalang 'tung nag-aalala sa 'kin. 

It was true though. I was so tired. And him offering a piggy back ride was like a reward after a long day. So I didn't say no.

I buried my face in his neck and closed my stingy eyes. I needed some sleep. 

"Sa tingin mo makakapunta pa kaya ako ng concert sa susunod?" I whispered.

Our surroundings were starting to dim and the only thing I could hear was Clyde's heavy footsteps. It was always quiet in here. 

"Oo naman." He replied with a small chuckle. 

I was doubtful. I felt like something terrible was going to happen. Happiness comes with a price. 

"Kasama ka?" I asked.

He nodded. "Palagi..."

I smiled. "Clyde," I called him. 

He halted and looked at me. "Bakit?"

"Baba mo na ako," I told him. Kanina pa niya ako buhat. I'm sure he's tired.

"Okay lang naman ako," he insisted but I already went down. 

I told Clyde to shush the moment my foot landed on the ground. He's holding my arm, curious. 

"Do you hear that?" I asked him. 

I'm definitely sure I can hear something. 

His nose crinkled and he took time to listen. "Wala naman akong naririnig," he argued. 

I rolled my eyes. "Maglinis ka rin kasi ng tenga mo," I said, shaking my head and continued to walk, leaving him behind.

He jogged to reach my pace and instantly placed his arm over my shoulder. I just let him be. Clearly, he loves to do that. Our house is just one corner away. 

"Cloe, naririnig mo ba 'yun?" he asked pertaining to the siren sound we can hear. 

"I told you so," I shrugged. 

My heart dropped once we turned to that one corner. Both of us seemed to be frozen in our place. A police car was parked outside our house. My parents rushed towards me the moment they saw us. 

I feel breathless. My heart was pounding so fast. It was ringing in my ears. Mom hugged me when she reached where I was standing. She broke the hug and caressed my face. Tears streamed down her face. 

Another person pulled me into a tight embrace. It was my dad. "Nag-alala kami sa'yo."

I couldn't move. My eyes started to blur. I felt like a bad daughter, worrying her good parents. The last time I saw them cry was years ago. That was when I got sent to the hospital after fainting. 

I instantly pulled back when a police officer came closer to Clyde and cuffed him. Before he could get him away, I held Clyde's hand. I almost forgot about him.