Forty eight

"A Muggle-born register?" I asked, rereading to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

"That's what it says" Draco confirmed.

"The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called "Muggle-born's" the better to understand "how they came to possess magical secrets.

Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when wizards reproduce. Where no proven wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggle-born is likely to have obtained magical power by theft or force.

The Ministry is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every "so called" Muggle-born to present themselves for interview by the recently appointed Muggle-born Registration Commission."

"What? But that's completely stupid and doesn't even make sense!" I demanded "How can they possibly think that Muggle-borns "Stole" Magical power?"

"I don't really think they believe it either" Theo started "just an excuse, one of Germany's Muggle leaders "Hitler" I think they called him, convinced the German people that Jewish people were behind the loss of the first world war, angering them to agree in the genocide of innocent people. If the Ministry can convince wizards that Muggle-borns are made from theft, a lot will be full of blind rage, enough to not think it through, and will want the revenge of Muggle-borns going extinct."

"You don't believe it, do you?" I asked the two boys, that were raised on the belief of blood-supremacy.

"Don't be ridiculous, Weasley, you would have to be dimmer than Crabbe and Goyle to believe that logic." Draco said, rolling his eyes, looking down at me, his eyes wandered over to the kitchen "Theo! You wanker, you left the food cooking, look!"

Theo and I both snapped our focus on the large cloud of smoke reaching the ceiling, fire being hidden in between. A loud ringing went off, sounding like an beeping alarm.

I covered my ears quickly, running over to the windows to open them. "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SOUND!?" I yelled over the noise.

"WELL FUCKING DONE THEO! YOUR BLOODY BREAKFAST CAUSED THIS!" Draco screamed.

"HOW DO YOU TURN IT OFF?!"

"YOU'RE THE MUGGLE EXPERT!" I SHOUTED AT THEO

"YOUR DAD WORKS IN THAT DEPARTMENT SHOULDN'T YOU KNOW"

"USED TO! I'VE BARELY SEEN MY DAD LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE A CASUAL CONVERSATION ABOUT HOW MUGGLE'S DEAL WITH HOUSEFIRE'S"

"I'LL RING LEX ON THE TELLYPHONE" DRACO INTERUPTED US.

"CAN'T WE JUST USE MAGIC TO TURN IT OFF!?" I asked, reaching into my pocket to draw out my wand.

"AND HOW DO YOU PRESUME WE DO THAT WHEN WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS?!"

"WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT ME? YOU'RE THE ONE WHO CAUSED THIS!"

"HELLO? YOU NEED TO COME BACK. A FIRE, YES, THEO LEFT SOMETHING COOKING, OI, THAT'S MY BEST MATE, JUST HURRY!" Draco then slammed the phone back down on the other part before facing us "HE'S ON HIS WAY!"

"WELL WHAT DO WE DO UNTIL HE'S BACK?" I asked.

"TRY AND FAN THE SMOKE OUT!" Theo said, waving his arms from the cloud to the windows.

I decided to copy him, not being able to think of any better solutions.

Instead of helping, Draco watched us with his arms folded across his chest, tapping his foot.