30

September 19, 2019 - Singapore

"Christian, can we have a minute?" Max knocked on the door frame of Christian's temporary Singapore office, and I peeked in behind him. Christian gave us a questioning look and then a curt nod so we entered, sitting down opposite him.

"So..." I started. "We thought you should know that we're dating."

Christian blinked, then looked between us. "Okay. Is that all?"

Max tilted his head. "You don't care?"

He gave us a genuine smile, something I hadn't received from him in many years. "You two have always been professional and responsible, and I trust that you'll continue to be."

"Thank you, Christian." I gushed.

"Be smart, and remember that if you give us any reason to enforce restrictions, we will." He warned us.

"Thank you, thank you." Max said happily.

Christian nodded. "Actually, Becca, there's something I wanted to talk to you about if you'd like to stay for a bit." I nodded but my heart started pounding. Whatever he wanted could be really good or really bad. Max thanked him again and patted my shoulder before leaving.

I shifted in my seat. "What can I help you with, Christian?"

"Well, for starters my apologies that we didn't have this conversation earlier." He laid his hands on the desk. I raised an eyebrow. We hadn't talked much since he offered me the reserve driver position in Monaco, almost 4 months ago. He asked how I was doing every so often and had offered his commiserations about Anthoine, but that was it, just short exchanges. He continued. "At this point, this is a bit last minute, but if possible we'd like you to drive in FP1 for us in Russia next week and possibly in the US for Toro Rosso."

I felt a smile make its way to my lips. "That would be a dream come true, yes!"

He returned my smile. "Good. You're cleared to drive medically, yes?" I nodded. "And fitness-wise, what would Leo say?"

"That's a conversation I'd have to have with him, but I've been training at an F1 level since April so I think he'd agree that I'm ready." I explained.

"Well, in that case, plan on driving in Sochi." Christian stood up, and I followed suit and shook his hand.

"Thank you so much, Christian. For everything." I left his office to find Max leaning on the wall right outside.

"What's the news?" Max asked, seeing the smile on my face.

"I'm driving in FP1 in Russia and maybe at COTA too!" I beamed.

"Becks, that's amazing! I'm so proud of you." He pulled me into a tight hug. His genuine excitement warmed my heart.

—————

September 27, 2019 - Sochi, Russia

Today was the day.

Today, barely a week after Christian had told me, I was going to make my F1 weekend debut. I woke up early, unable to sleep. Since I was driving for Red Bull today I pulled on my Red Bull polo and some black jeans, then put french braids on both sides of my hair like I always did when I was driving.

Max and I had agreed we would continue to have separate rooms, though we spent some nights together. This night we hadn't, so I met up with him, Jake, and Leo to walk to the paddock. Max put his arm around me for the short walk, and we smiled at the photographers taking pictures of us. We hadn't gone public, but it had been known since we were 17 that we were good friends.