8

Because the next day was Friday, Max had an insanely busy schedule and after we got to the track in the morning I didn't see him at all. I was sitting just outside the pits, studying some sample data that James had given me to practice analyzing when a woman came up to me.

"Excuse me, do you know if we can go into the garage right now?" She asked.

I frowned and looked up. "Sorry, no one-" My eyes widened as I recognized her. "Oh my gosh, you're Sophie, it's so nice to meet you! I grabbed Max's mom's hand and shook it before realizing how weird that probably was.

"I'm sorry, do I know-" She started, but luckily Victoria was right behind her, and squealed as she saw me.

"Becca!" She pulled me into a big hug, which I happily reciprocated.

"It's so good to actually meet you!" I squeezed her.

"And look at you!" She stepped back and looked me up and down. "You could do way better than my brother." She stated quite matter-of-factly, causing me to blush.

Sophie's gaze softened when she realized who I was. "Ah, you're Becca! I'm so sorry, I completely didn't recognize you. Max seems to have forgotten to mention you worked with him in F1. I thought you were a fellow driver?"

I gave her a warm smile. "I guess I do both? I'm an engineering apprentice with Toro Rosso whenever I'm not racing."

"Wow, what an amazing opportunity!" Sophie smiled, and I nodded.

"It's nice, I'm really able to get the best out of my time. Oh, and to answer your question, I'm not sure if Max is in there but feel free to walk into the garage, there are no sessions running right now." I explained.

"Perfect. I think we're scheduled to have dinner tonight?" Sophie asked. Max had mentioned he had set up late dinner for us with his mom, sister, and dad, who was flying in from Amsterdam tonight.

"That's what Max has told me!" I nodded.

"Great, we'll see you then." Victoria gave me another hug, and this time Sophie did too before waving as she walked down the hall to the pits.

"By the way, I love your accent." Victoria whispered to me before trailing down the hall after her mom, leaving me a smiling, blushing, frazzled mess.

——

I was back at Jos's apartment, getting ready for dinner when Max finally got home, about 15 minutes before we were supposed to leave. I was nervous for the family dinner, Max and I weren't even officially dating yet and his lateness wasn't helping my nerves but I tried to keep it together.

"Hey!" I called from the bathroom where I was finishing my hair.

"Hey." He came in and planted a kiss on my cheek, making me blush. "Sorry I'm late, Maria wouldn't let Carlos and I go." He mentioned one of the PRs before going to his closet to change.

"It's all good, we've got plenty of time." I responded sarcastically. He came back into the bathroom and stood next to me as he buttoned his shirt.

"You know you don't have to come if you don't want to, right?" He mentioned as he placed a hand on my arm, picking up on my nerves.

I sighed. Caught red-handed, am I that obvious?  "I already saw your mom and sister today and told them I'd be there. And your dad is letting me stay here the whole weekend. It's the respectful thing to do." I explained, placing my hand over his.

"Okay, but my family can be a little much. If you want to leave, feel free to make something up, I'll cover for you." He promised.

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks, Max. I'll let you know."