chapter two.

THAT SAME night that Simon and Kate broke into his house, there was also multiple murders that had happened at the Shadyside Mall, Marcus saw it all over the news the next day when he got up for school.

When they show who was the killer and who had been killed, Marcus set down his bowl of cereal and sighed. "I'm gonna head to school." He told his parents who were watching the television screen. "That's just... terrible." Susan sighed then she grabbed her son's wrist gently before he could even leave. "Hey. You can talk to me... you know that, right? You can tell me about how you feel." She says.

"Yeah... well, right now I don't particularly feel the greatest because I'm gonna be late to school..." He says and she lets go, sighing. Once outside, Marcus got into his car and blasted whatever tape was in. It was Nirvana. Typically, it always was Nirvana. He drove to school, smoking a cigarette and when he got there, he tossed the cigarette out the window.

"Hey, did you hear what happened at the mall? Simon was already there, waiting for him by his usual parking spot. "Yeah... fucking crazy." He sighed and locked his car quickly. "Uh, did you get what Kate asked for?" He then asked and Marcus just nods. "I always do. Why wouldn't I?" He says and Simon swings his arm around Marcus' neck, "let's go then..."

In the girls' bathroom, Marcus heard someone come in, so he quickly hid the box into the air duct over the stall he was in before going down and looking at Simon who just grins. It was just Deena and Kate. They're talking about the killing at the mall that happened last night.

"She reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her wicked slaves!" Kate says as Simon then opens the stall, "she'll take your blood!" He shouts and frightened Deena as Marcus walks out with them, smiling at Deena. "She'll take your head. She'll follow you until you're dead!" He says and Deena walks away, over to the sink as they follow her. "Wow!" She says, turning to the two boys and Kate.

"You guys are dicks." She adds and Kate smiled. "It's just fun." She says and Marcus points at her. "It's sick." Deena says as Marcus walks back over to the bathroom stall. "What? The dude was wearing a Halloween skull mask!" Simon says, standing in the doorway of the bathroom stall that Marcus was standing in.

"How is that not fun?" Simon then asked Deena, looking at her. "People died. Heather died. The dude was probably just some sad sack who hated his life, like the rest of us, except he decided, hey, why don't I get out of here for good? And hey, why don't I take Heather and a couple other mall rats with me? There's no angry dead witch who made him go postal. The only thing that made him go crazy is this town!" She then drops her jacket right beside her.

"Damn, are you okay?" Marcus says, standing up and leaning against the stall, standing right behind Simon. "Yeah, I'm fine." She says and Marcus still stares at her in worry as Simon joked, "seems like... maybe you got a little witch in you." He says and Kate laughs as Deena looks away with a smile on her face.

"Dude, why are you two even in here? This is the girls' bathroom." Deena says as Marcus climbs up onto the toilet and reached inside of the air duct where he takes the box and jumped down, smirking at Simon who glanced down then up at him. "Candy store." He says as Simon takes the box. "You know we don't believe in this witch shit, right?" Kate says.

"It's just, like, fucked-up Santa Claus or something. My parents use to tell me the nursery rhyme to scare me into behaving." Marcus says as Simon spoke, "ho, ho, ho!" He teased, glancing up at Marcus who rolls his eyes. Deena holds up a shoebox to Kate who glanced down. "What's this?" She then asked.

"I need you to give this to Sam tonight."

"Yeah, uh-uh. No way."

"Come on, Kate!"

"No way, Deena."

Marcus glanced at the girls as he and Simon look through the box, making sure what they asked for were all there. "I am not getting mixed up in your ex drama. Do it yourself." Kate says and Deena looks away. "I'm not going to the game. I quit band." She sets down the box.

"Since when?"

"Since who gives a shit!" Deena replied to Kate's question. "Isn't band the only extracurricular you had left?" Marcus looks up at Deena who looks away, avoiding the question. "You still have your band uniform, right?" Kate says, walking over to Simon and Marcus. "You just wear that shit one last time." She kneeled down.

She picks up the box, "I've got something that'll give you the balls to face Sam." She says and Marcus immediately stood up as Kate opens up the box. "What? You're dealing again? I thought you stopped after this dingus' brother OD'd." Deena says, pointing to Simon. "Why do you think they keep me around?" Marcus joked as Kate's smile falters a bit.

"Timothy?" Simon says. "Wh... uh, Timmy wasn't a real OD. He didn't actually die. They brought him back." Kate looks at Simon who holds out his arms. "Ja-jing!" He says as Marcus just forced a smile. "You're both morons." Deena says. "Excuse me? Which one of us is valedictorian, again? The president of every club this shithole has to offer." Kate says as the four of them head for the bathroom door.

"I'm getting out of here. Off to claim my place among the stars, bitch." Kate says as she looks back at Deena. "Woo! The witch lives! Long live Sarah Fier!" Some guy shouted as he ran by, dragging a dummy on a rope.

"Yeah!" Simon shouts and Marcus rolls his eyes. "I hate living here." He whispered quietly before he begun walking away. He's done what he needed to do, now he can go.

AUTHORS NOTE

i'm so excited for these books
i'm writing, i have a lot
of ideas. for this one and
also for sunflower.

+ i went on a boat for the
first time ever today, it
was fun lol