Chapter 5

I woke up in the queen sized bed that I shared with Kyle and could feel the warm New York City morning sun on my face. 

I reached over to where Kyle was, but he wasn't there, he was standing up, by his closest, packing his things, in what seemed to be a hurry. 

"What are you doing babe?" I asked as I rubbed my eyes and got out of bed towards him. I reached towards him for a hug, but he refused. His tan freckled face was full of anger, but what also seemed to be...sadness.

"Here" was his only response as he handed me a handwritten letter. "It's from me Noelle"

With trembling hands, I grabbed the letter and began reading, as Kyle finished packing his things.

Dear Noelle,

If relationships are messy, then the period right after a breakup is a disaster. When we met, my first serious relationship with my childhood sweetheart had just ended. I was heart broken, and I thought all I wanted to do over thanksgiving break in college was come home and get away from girls a while. When I came over your house the first time, I was exxpecting just a photography lesson, but you started flirting with me, and I hadn't felt wanted like that in a long time. I completley let my horomones take over and I jumped at the first girl I saw- and that was you. After 2 months of hooking up, when you asked where our relationship was going- perfectly understandable question after that long, we then where officially together. 2 months turned into a year, a year turned into 2, then 3, then 4. I felt like a total jerk.  It forced me to realize that I wasn't being honest with myself about why I was with you for so long. Basically...I was using you to get over my ex-girlfriend, for 4 years. I know this makes me sound like a bad person, but now I understand that, to me, our relationship was a long rebound. I had a busted ego, and being with you made me feel better about myself. I felt terrible about all of this, and I still do. But know this: When guys act overly emotional so early on like I did, odds are they're just trying to hook up with you and build something more. Next time you meet a guy who's just ended a major relationship, make sure he's doing thoughtful things for you. That's how you'll know his feelings are genuine.

-Kyle.

I was in complete shock. I knew that Kyle was in a serious relationship before me, but I never knew that he felt like this. But what I was most worried about right now was what might happen next.

"So was it my fault?" I quietly asked, not trying to cry. "Is this all my fault?"

"Stop thinking about yourself Noelle. The world doesn't revolve around you and neither does my life. I'm done with you. We're over" Kyle said sternly, walking out of our bedroom to the front door.

"You know what Kyle?"

"What?" He screamed.

"The sad thing is, I actually thought you were different."

And with that, my relationship with Kyle Cohen of 4 years...was over.