Chapter 18

The night was in full affect, the stars almost sparkled against the midnight sky as I looked out of the large window in my bedroom. The large apartment I shared was quiet except for the gentle tick of the old clock that was hanging above my bed. Soon, my eyes grew heavy and my body began to sink deeper into my bed, dragging me into a comfortable sleep. It wasn't long before I heard a pounding at the door, causing me to gasp as I sat up straight, knowing that Charlotte wouldn't knock like that. Wiping my leepy eyes I padded out of my room and into the living room, unlocking the wood door just as another pounding its hit. My eyes were greeted by an upset Declan, his face bruised and beaten. AAs I opened the door, I took him inside, worriedly. 

"Declan" I said as I lead him to the couch. "What in the hell happened?!"

He grumbled something I couldn't quite make out as I walked into the kitchen in search of the first aid kit. My mind was going a million miles a minute, trying to think of what possibly could've happened. Declan had been acting different lately and it had started to worry me, and even Charlotte a little. This situation wasn't much help. 

As I walked back into the living room I noticed Declan was wiping his cheeks, trying to rid his face of the small tears that were brimming around his eyes before I came back. 

Crouching in front of him I opened the little box and took out some antiseptic wipes to clean up his cuts. I started to dab lightly at the largest one, causing Declan to wince, making me worry even more. He was normally tough but again, something had changed and it was killing me to see him like this.

"Noelle? Noelle?" Declan and I heard Charlotte cry from our guest room, she had stayed over for the past couple of nights due to Declan's late hours at the restaurant.

"I'll go Noelle" Declan began to get up, but I stopped him.

"No Dec, I'm not letting Charlotte see you in the condition you're in. I'll be back"

"So what's wrong baby girl?" I asked her, after I got Charlotte to stop crying, and I could only do that by tickling her. 

"I had a bad dream about you and Daddy. That a monster came and at you" Charlotte's smile faded as she remembered her scary dream. "Well no monster will ever eat me. Or Daddy. Or you" I said as I stroked her head.

"How do you know that?" She asked, curiousity showing. 

"Because no matter what happens between your dad and I, I'm always going to be here to protect you. No matter what" I said, rubbing my nose against hers, making her giggle again.

"So are you feeling better no sweetie?" I smiled, and Charlotte nodded.

"Good, that makes me so relieved! I thought I was going to get eaten, but now I don't have to worry"

"I'd fight the monster off for you Noelle" Charlotte smiled, then kissed me on the cheek.

"Thank you Nellie. I'm gonna go back to bed. Please leave" 

I could help but chuckle at her polite way of asking me to leave.

"Okay sweetie" I kissed her on the forehead, "You know where my room is"

"Is she alright?" Declan asked as I walked back to him, I nodded yes and he sighed.

My fingers dabbed the cream onto his face lightly as he watched intently from above me. As I finished fixing him up I closed the first aid kit and slowly sat myself onto the small wooden coffee table that rested behind me. I took in Declan's face, now ridden with cuts that were sure to leave scars just like the couple others that littered his face.

"I'm sorry I woke you" He whispered apologetically.

I shook my head at him before softly placing my hand on top his and giving it a soft squeeze. "Declan you don't have to apologize to me, you needed help, I'm always here for you" I said hoping that this would coax him into openign up to me.