Chapter Ten

I died being away from this story :/ erg. More about that at the footnote. 

But I had asked for a different last name for Adam and the name I chose was: "Adam Goode" form ellabella201. Pretty impressive. Go check her out, she's super nice and one of my best fans and she has a couple of stories(: 

On to the story (That you have waited quite a while for)~

___________________________________________________________________

"Smile," I said, pointing the camera at us. Cameron's cheeks widened against mine, and I snapped the picture, satisfied when the flash went off.

"OW, WHAT THE FUCK," Cameron shouted, swiping at his eyes.

"What are you talking about?" This bastard is such a whiner, oh my gosh.

"THE FLASH! OH MY EYES, MY BEAUTIFUL ORBS OF GOODNESS ARE RUINED BECAUSE OF YOU. DAMN," Cameron yelled. "And my eyes were probably closed in the picture, can we do that again?"

I rolled my eyes, checking the picture. "Your eyes aren't closed, but that doesn't even matter," I leaned closer and whispered, "We're doing this to see the position on the security cameras, so stop complaining. The more attention drawn to us, the more likely they'll remember us, so stop."

"Fine," Cameron pouted. "But my eyes still really hurt."

"You can write a book about it later, okay?" I said, dragging Cameron to the next security camera.

We were at some unknown little museum for rocks and minerals, trying to get  ready for the heist.

Cameron and I were to get pictures of the exterior and interior security cameras in a discreet way (We're failing because Cameron seems to believe this is a Hollister photo shoot).

Adam is getting a "part-time job" as an assistant receptionist, giving us employee access while getting to use his beloved technology without anyone being suspicious about what his real agenda is. (Stealing  a priceless diamond, that's all).

CeCe was up close and personal with Aphrodite itself, checking out the booth it was supposedly in. (She was actually looking at how many security systems we might have to go through to get it). She was also chatting with the booth runner, slowly getting information about the diamond in a charming girly way. I will admit her fake gawking and British accent deserves a standing ovation.

Devon was aimlessly walking around the west wing, looking like an ordinary museum visitor. (she was actually looking for all the possible exits we could escape through). Weston was about doing the same thing on the east wing.

And Colton was playing up a conversation with the owner, asking about the things that happen when the museum is on lock down, then boasting about how his family systems were better. (I'm still laughing at how funny Colton looks in a suit and fake mustache).

I snapped the last picture, aiming at the secret camera most people couldn't see tucked into a little nook on the left side of the building.

"All done!" I announced, smiling because we were the first ones done.

But then I looked at Cameron and my smile faded, wiped away from the tortured look on his face.

"You okay?" I asked, putting my hand on his upper arm.

Cameron didn't answer, he just looked away and shoved his iPhone in my hands.

Confused, I looked at the screen. And I really wished I didn't.

It was a picture of Mrs.Hasting. She looked the same as the last time I saw her; A petite woman with caramel hair that stopped at her shoulders and wise brown eyes. But this time her face looked older and worn, tear-streaked and miserable. She was gagged and her hands and feet were tied, but the irony, oh the irony: She was sitting on a king sized bed in a luxury, all-white room with a tray of tea in front of her as if she was going to enjoy sipping on England's finest after posing for a picture advertising the next horror movie coming out.

The text underneath said "Jane is a lovely guest... Very polite... So polite, that she refuses to eat. Perhaps you should come before she dies from starvation? Just a suggestion. -S.Mattern"

There are cotton balls shoved down my throat, maybe that's why I find that I can't breathe.

"Cameron?" I asked. I tried to keep it together, to show him that it will be okay, but my voice betrayed me, cracking on the last syllable of his name. I cleared my throat of those imaginary cotton balls and pushed on.  "Who is Steve Mattern?"

"I don't know." He said in a low voice. "I don't know." He repeated, the tortured look on his face unwavering.

"What do you mean you 'don't know'?" I don't get it, how could he not know who his mother was associating with? Surely they at least looked him up.

"I mean I don't know, God dammit!" He punched the car in frustration.

Well shit. Adam's not gonna be happy to see a dent in his beloved car. The dent was so deep I wondered if I could tell him there was a meteor shower and Cameron and I were survivors.

"Okay, I'm sorry, but does anybody know who he is? Like your mom?" I tried to use a soothing voice to calm him down. "Maybe we're working at the wrong end of the situation. Maybe we should be figuring out who Mattern is before we get the diamond!"

Cameron sighed, his fist still in the dent he made in the car. "Nobody knows who he is because 'Steve Mattern' is a cover name. You can't look him up, he has no records and his associates probably don't even know who he is. My mother didn't actually know him either." He ran his fingers through his caramel locks. "She only worked with his secretary. Her name was Sue. Last initial is 'M'. Sue Mattern proabably. Maybe his wife? I don't know. that's the problem, no one knows anything and the only way to do this is to obey Mattern."

Something irked me about that. Something sounded familiar and I couldn't put my finger on it.

But before I could ponder on it more, a car door slammed and I saw Weston and CeCe slide into the back seat. Colton soon followed, and Cameron took that as his cue to get into the passenger seat. Dev bounced around the corner and stopped in front of me.

"Adam is going to gut you alive." She said, staring at the dent that Cameron had created. 

I sighed. Honestly, that seems to be the least scariest thing that's happening right now.

_______________________

Maybe this wasn't the most amazing chapter but...I updated and that counts.

And I'd like to casually mention that I love you guys very much and for any of you who still haven't given up on this story yet; Thank you. Simply put.

Vote, Comment, Fan, Suggest to random citizens of Wattpad, and always guys: Shmenk you<3