Chapter 16: Being

"Meredith." He exits behind her and pulls her back. He didn't want to go to Addison. Being with her is what he craves. He pulls her back and faces her. "Just explain to me what took so long. Stay here with me."

"I think the lead surgeon should explain." She sighs as she pries her arm from his grip. Taking a sharp breath he follows her. "I want you to explain. Please. I need-" He starts as Bailey trails the corner.

"Dr. Grey, I've been paging you." She sighs. The look on Derek's face makes her question their relationship. They tower above her and he stands up straight. "Let's go! Dying patients don't wait!"

"Meredith-" He starts as he watches Bailey walk back around the corner. She pushes him away again. "Meet me in the nursery in 30 minutes okay?" He asks, not letting go. She meets his eyes and sees desperation. "Promise me." He pleads, pulling her aside.

"Promise me." He asks again. She considers his offer intensely, searching for the credibility in his ocean blue eyes. Why should she believe anything he said to her? How could she trust him after everything he had done? Her mouth presses into a hard line making him nod slowly. "No."

She turns the corner and sighs as Bailey faces her. Pushing her curtain bangs back. "I thought I should save you from there." She says as they walk towards the nursery. "What are you doing Meredith?" She asks.

"I needed that but I have no idea." She says as they come up to the nursery. She walks in full PPE before unlocking the cart for his baby. "I have to go. Addison probably wants to see her baby." She sighs.

Addison's Hospital Room

"Hey. How are you feeling?" He asks as he walks into the room. His wife is laying in the bed, unmoving but breathing heavily. She looks so weak and he sighs, realizing the lack of attention he has been giving her.

"I lost a tube." She cries and he stands still, staring as he thinks about what to do for her.
"It's going to be all right." Taking a sharp breath, he lifts himself into the bed and holds her as she sobs into his chest.
"We have a beautiful baby girl." Tears run down his chest and his fingers tangle in her thick, red, pineapple scented hair.

Her breath runs out as he presses his forehead to hers until she is breathing regularly. Leaning in she locks their lips, sending a shiver down his back. As if a pillow is covering his face, he can't breathe and feels lightheaded.

"I thought you might want to..." Meredith stops talking at the loud sucks of them kissing- no, it was more like they were mashing faces. Her skin burned as she smiled at the baby, trying to tune out the sound of them. A tear lands on the baby's cheek and she quickly wipes it off. Looking up at the ceiling, she pushes the tears back into her eyes.

"Meredith." He gasps quietly as Addison lets his scrubs go and pulls away. "Thank you, Dr. Grey." He nods, looking at his child who is cooing gently in the cart. She nods and meets her eyes before breathing heavily. He is frozen as his fingers are still tangled in his wife's hair.

"Yes. Dr. Grey. I really appreciate it. Is everything okay with her?" Addison asks as she sits up.
"Yes. Everything is perfect." Meredith tries her best to smile while her stomach flips and her heart rises in his throat.
"Can I have her chart?" He asks as he slips out of the bed.
"It's at the nurse's station." She gives him a warm smile and nods before walking outside.

He picks up the baby and gently places her in Addison's arms, kissing their foreheads. He feels nauseous as he sees Meredith walking away from him.
"I'll be back with both of your charts and ice chips. I'll also go home and get the baby bag." He says as he walks out.
"Love you." She waves.
He follows Meredith into the Neuro lab and sees her sitting at a table. Locking the door gets her attention and he sits next to her.