C H A P T E R - S E V E N

Alyssa Torres woke up at midnight the morning of her next shift, it had been a bad dream which caused her to shoot up into a sitting position, looking straight ahead of her at the door to her room.

She lets out a sigh as she runs a hand through her hair, trying to remember anything she can about the dream but she couldn't remember anything but the members of Firehouse 90 and Firehouse 51. They were all there, it had been in a warehouse she knew that much but nothing more.

Alyssa shakes her head, trying to get the chills that had run down her spine to leave.

She stands up, sliding her legs from under the blankets, and walks out to the main room of her apartment, sitting on the couch and staring at the black TV screen.

The woman was trying to remember what her dream was about but she couldn't. All she knew was the members of Firehouses 51 and 90 were in there and that there was a fire at a warehouse.

She stared at the screen for an hour or two but, for the life of her, couldn't tell you what exactly happened.

It had scared the shit out of her, that's for sure but now, after waking up, she couldn't exactly remember what about it had caused the scare.

When Alyssa looked at the clock on the wall on the right side of the doorway to her room, it read two a.m.

She sighs, standing up. She needed to get some sleep before the twenty-four-hour long shift that was waiting for her in eight hours.

The woman headed back to her bedroom, crawling into the bed

She had just gotten comfortable when her phone buzzed.

Grabbing it from the nightstand, the person who had sent it was surprising.

It was from Kelly Severide.

'Are you up?' it read.

Why the hell was Kelly Severide messaging the woman he hated at two in the morning?

'Yeah, why are you?' she responds.

The three white dots appeared in the dark grey bubble, the color fading from one and appearing in the other until the message pops up on the screen.

'Couldn't sleep, you?' his message came a few seconds later.

'Nightmare. Are you drunk?'

'Had a few, why?'

'Because Kelly Severide, in his right mind, wouldn't ever text me, the woman he hates at two in the morning'

Kelly Severide, laying in his bed fifteen miles from Alyssa Torres, lets out a small laugh at the message the female Squad lieutenant had sent.

'That's true' he responds, a small drunken smile playing on his face as he realizes the message was true.

'Who'd you sleep with tonight?'

'No one, actually, just went out drinking'

'I didn't think you could go out, get drunk, and not fuck someone'

'Had a bad day, didn't think sex would help'

'That has to be a first for you'

'Shut up, Torres'

'Goodnight, Severide'

'It's technically a good morning' he corrects.

'Shut your drunk ass up and go to sleep, Sev'

Severide smirks at the message before shutting his phone off, moving onto his back, and falling asleep.

When Alyssa noticed he had read the message and not responded, she had assumed that he had listened to her instructions and gone to bed.