C H A P T E R - E I G H T

As eight o'clock drew nearer, Alyssa Torres decided it was about time to begin getting ready for her date with Julian Black.

She had already showered after getting home from her last shift.

Julian had texted her after asking her out on the date and told her to dress warmly and that it wasn't going to be one of their normal dates.

She heads to her bedroom, opening her closet door, and searching for a warm but nice outfit to wear.

Alyssa thumbed through the outfits, not finding one that she liked for the date.

It took her a good five minutes to finally decide on a strappy white tank top, high-waisted black jeans, a long-sleeved light blue jean jacket, white converse, and little gold earrings.

She pulled her newfound clothes on and heads to her bathroom, brushing her hair, and applying deodorant and perfume before heading back out to the living room and sitting cross-legged on the couch.

Since Alyssa hadn't turned off the TV when she headed to the bedroom to change, her eyes immediately floated up to the large screen, the commentator's voice of the hockey game ringing through her small apartment.

She was bored, ready for her date which was in less than an hour.

The game only lasted for fifteen minutes after Torres had sat down.

She sighs as an ad plays at the end of the game, throwing her head onto the back of her sofa.

The woman knew she didn't have anyone to call and didn't feel like bothering anyone anyway.

Her phone rang less than ten minutes later and she immediately picked it up, bored out of her mind.

It was Julian and she was scared that he was canceling on her.

"Hey, J," she greets as she answers the phone, bringing the hand-held rectangular device in her hand.

"Hey, Lys, listen, I got called back into work, I'm on my way to the office now. I'll make it up to you, I promise. Tomorrow. I'm really sorry."

"It's fine, Julian, don't worry about it. I get it, duty calls. I'll just stay here and watch the game or go to Molly's."

Julian and the woman share a few more words before saying goodbye and ending the call.

Alyssa sighs, debating whether to change into her pajamas and go to bed or to grab her wallet and keys and head to Molly's.

She decided for the latter, standing up from the couch, placing her phone in her jean jacket pocket and walking over to her kitchen counter, and grabbing her wallet and keys.

The lieutenant walks out of her apartment after turning on the lights. She locks the door as it shuts behind her before walking down the hall to the elevator and taking it to the garage level.

She climbs into her car, putting the key into the ignition as she does and starting the car, the familiar rumble of her car starting reaching her ears.

Torres leaves the garage, heading towards the familiar first-responders bar.

There weren't many empty parking spots, making it so that Alyssa had to park a few yards away from the front door of Molly's and walk over to it.

The bar was filled with laughter, talking, and a strong scent of alcohol.

"Hey, look who it is!" Herrmann calls as the Squad 6 lieutenant walks over to the bar.

She sends a small smile to the Truck 81 firefighter who was tending the side of the bar that Torres sat at.

"Hey, Chris," she says, looking up at the man who turned around just then and poured the lieutenant a glass of Jack Daniels Whiskey.