five: flirting

┌────── ❀ ──────┐BIRDIE WRIGHT└────── ❀ ──────┘

┌────── ──────┐
BIRDIE WRIGHT
└────── ──────┘

FLIRTING

YESTERDAY WASN'T what she had expected her first day as an intern to be like. She expected to jump right into being taught the good stuff; such as how to present yourself on live TV, or how to speak confidently like you know everything and you're the only one with the facts. But it wasn't like that at all, oh no, it was monotonous to say the least. Julianne brought them into the research department, littered with computers and lounges and large tables with yellow tops, and told them they would be researching a good story to show on the news, one that would grab people's attention and make them think and feel.

They spent the whole day bored out of their minds — some more than others — as they researched for random things. Julianne had assigned Birdie to scroll through social media; Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and other platforms. Reed, on the other hand, was stuck with newspapers, a stack of them from different news agencies she remembered him saying: "I can barely tell what fucking word this is."

Birdie leaned over, peering over his shoulder and staring at the paper under his nose. "What word are you looking at?" she asked, offering to help him out.

He pointed to a word, then circled the tip of his finger around the general area. "I need my reading glasses, these words are too fucking small for me. They're blurred a bit," he told her. "I didn't know I needed to bring them."

"Well, you're reading the weather, so. . ." Birdie couldn't hold the small giggle as she chuckled at him, leaning back into her seat and going back to scrolling through Twitter, reading political tweets and whatnot.

"Swap with me," Reed suddenly said. Birdie looked away from the computer's screen and looked at him, a slight raise to her brows in confusion.

"What?" she said, as if she didn't hear him. She did, though.

"Swap with me so you're reading these newspapers and I'm on the computer," he repeated in more depth. "I can make the words bigger on the computer so I can actually read it."

Disgust tugged at the top of her plump pink lips, staring at him. He had a pleading look in his soft blue eyes, then she looked at the stack of newspapers near him. She considered saying no to him, because it looked boring, however, she didn't want to seem like she was rude and not a team player. So, she gave him a light smile and a nod of her head as she stood up. He beamed, a childish smile on his lips as he murmured a soft thank you, getting up and sitting in front of the computer, his hand over the mouse as he went to the settings. Birdie picked up the pile of newspapers into her grasp and went over to a comfortable lounge, dumping the papers on the coffee table in front of it, looking around over at some cupboards at the back of the room with, what looked like, stationary. Perfect!