twelve: hand written invitation

┌────── ❀ ──────┐REED CHERIE└────── ❀ ──────┘

┌────── ──────┐
REED CHERIE
└────── ──────┘

Dear Tweedy Bird, I wish this wasn't how we left things but I suppose that's what was in store for us. I wish it could've been longer, or perhaps we got to know each other more... I had fun with you. I like your smile, your eyes, and how loveable you can be. Your laugh is adorable. When you get nervous, it's a adorable. You made me forget about how shitty my life feels. It was great meeting you—being in your life for just a small fraction of it.

Anyway, I wanted to invite you to an anniversary my family will be holding each year for my sister, Grace. You don't have to come, but I just wanted to show you a little of my life and what I've been going through mentally. It's an anniversary to remember her, and a reminder that she's loved and appreciated, even after her death. She was 23 when she passed away, kidney failure, last year, May 21st. Her death is probably why I'm so closed off, but meeting you I don't want to be closed off from everyone anymore. Thank you for that. So, please think about it, I'd like you to meet my cousin, and meet my idol, favourite person in the whole world—my sister.

If you would like to come with me (I would really appreciate it, you hold me together more than anyone else can) here's the address: Willow Park Memorial Grounds, NY, NY. It's being held on the 10th, Aug at 9.30AM. I know, my family wanted to redo her funeral, just with family and friends—a small group of people—because someone decided not to show up to the funeral.

Love, Reed Cherie x

Reed Folded the letter, swallowed and placed it in an envelope, and sealed it shut. He wrote Birdie's name as neatly as he could but the nerves in his finger made his handwriting look shaky and uglier than it usually was. He got up from the chair in the dining area, grabbed his bags, slung them over his shoulder and existed the hotel room. He then stood outside Birdie's room, felt his heart pound in his chest. With one deep breath in he slipped the letter under her door, knocked a few times and headed to the elevator.

He stared around the cemetery, in the early morning light. He was hoping to see a familiar among those of his family, but as the time passed, he slowly released that she was not coming. It hurt him deeply, he was really looking forward to having her heard to at least meet Gracie.

"Honey, you ready?" his mother's voice was soft. He turned to meet her eyes. They were sunken and dark circles were still visible under the foundation she had on.

He smiled tightly, nodding. His mother held his hand as she walked him toward his sister's grave. He saw Coal standing there, dressed in black, hands together in front of him as he stared down at Gracie's grave. From a distance Reed could make out Coal talking, probably having a quick chat with her before they actually started. Once they were standing with him, Coal cleared his throat, adjusted his tie and took a step back.