~Home?~

TW// homphobia, s*xual assault references, gross older brother, abuse

"No, Tubs, how the heck did you manage to break the backboard-" Fern giggled, pushing open their front door with arms full of toys. They'd managed to get nearly 20K tickets total and spent all of them on their friends.

"Addison?"

Fern froze, glancing into the house for a moment and stopping everyone behind them.

"Hey," Their voice rose a pitch, much softer than any of their friends had heard before. Nine and Markus' eyes went wide, holding back the oldest of the group before they could even figure out why they would be mad. "You're home early."

"Yeah, well," Owen shrugged, plopping his sandwich down on the plate he'd dirtied and wiping his hands on his jeans as he walked to the door. "Who're these guys?"

"My friends. From school." Fern spoke quickly, gesturing to those behind them and begging them to stay quiet.

Owen nodded, eyeing up the group for a moment. "Hi Pais, Markus."

"Hi," They were trying not to snap at him, and Fern greatly appreciated it.

"Are you heading out to the farm, then?"

"I thought about it," Owen shrugged, leaning against the wall. "But I think I'll stick around if you're planning on throwing a party."

"It's not a party," Fern scoffed. "They're just my friends. We were gonna hang out for a bit and then they were gonna go home."

"Friends?" Now it was Owen's turn to scoff. Wilbur's eye twitched slightly. "Don't be stupid, Addi. Do Mom and Dad know you're having a party?"

"No, because it's not a party," Fern shook their head. Tubbo grabbed their hand, letting them play with his fingers.

Owen, unfortunately, was not blind.

"Oh, I get it," He chuckled. "Don't tell me you're fucking all of them-"

"Excuse me?" Niki cut in, face red with anger. Fern froze.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Princess, did I offend you?" Owen sniggered. "If you plan on fucking my faggot of a sister, I won't stop you, but do keep in mind that I've got a real dick."

"You sure are one," Dream muttered. Only Nine picked it up, and she choked a little when she tried to stifle a laugh.

"Something funny?" Owen glared between Dream and Nine, watching as the older man took a step forward. "Paisley, get the fuck away from that guy. Don't turn into a slut."

"Oh, piss off," Dream hissed.

Fern stepped between the two, heart racing at how close they were to Owen. He could reach out and he'd be touching them.

"That's enough, guys," They muttered, eyes trained on the porch. "Just drop it. Owen, are you going out to the farm or not?"

"Nah," He chuckled, leaning back against the wall. "No point in it. Mom and Dad will be back as soon as they hear about this."

"Whatever," Fern huffed. "If that's all, we'll be in the shop."

"Adios, Addi," Owen chuckled, swiveling around and pulling his phone out of his pocket. Fern bit back their anger and calmly closed the door behind them, pulling out their keys again and silently leading their friends to the other building.

"Fern-" Niki pulled them into a hug, holding them tight as they shook in her arms. "I don't- we can't just leave you here with them."

"And?" Fern laughed a little, wiping their eyes with their sleeve. They didn't think they'd cried, but it wasn't worth the risk. "I can't just leave. That's illegal."

"What if it weren't?" Wilbur cut in, standing next to Dream as he spoke. "We were talking about this last night, and Nine agreed-- we could win in a legal battle."

"Right, so I'll go live with who?" They buried their face back into the hug. "Nobody in my family would take me in if I was up in the air. Not if I was the one who decided to leave."

"I would," Dream raised his hand. "Wilbur would, too, but I'm more likely to win custody."

"What?" Fern looked up a little, eyes darting between the two. "Don't joke with me."

"I'm not. I've got a house of my own and the money to provide for both of us, I've got a good relationship with my family and vouches from all of them as testament to how I could be a good guardian."

"Why the heck would you want that?" Fern groaned, scared to leave Niki's arms. She was warm and safe and solid. "I- I don't get it."

"You're my friend, Bud," Dream smiled, playing with his fingers. "I'd do this for any of you. You all mean the world to me."

Fern was quiet for a moment.

"We think it would be a good thing," Nine spoke up. "You-- this house, it's not good. For you or anyone who meets you through it."

"You're okay with me leaving-- to Florida?" Fern asked.

Of course they are. They never wanted you here.

But Dream wants me in Florida.

"Well, you'll obviously visit during the summer," Markus cut in quickly. He folded his arms over his chest. "As much as I hate for you to be on the other side of the country, they're right. You'd be safe at Dream's place."

"I can just get an apartment, it's not-- I make enough from streaming," Ferm muttered. "I don't want to intrude."

"Are you kidding?" Dream laughed, leaning back against the truck behind him. Owen's truck. Fern watched as he poked at it, leaving behind little smudges in the paint. "Leah-- Drista, I guess, she's been begging me to introduce you two. Hell, she's the main reason I added you to the SMP."

"But-- it's your house," Fern furrowed their brows. They couldn't wrap their head around it.

"Okay, dude, pretend the roles were reversed," Nine rolled her eyes. "Dream's trying to escape his abusive family--"

"They're not abusive."

"Yes, they are," Wilbur huffed, arms over his chest.

"Anyways," Nine cleared her throat. "He's escaping, and you have a house and the money to take care of him. You'd do it, wouldn't you?"

"Well, obviously, but--"

"No," Markus cut in, taking a step towards them. "No but's. Your family is abusive and you shouldn't have to deal with it. Dream is doing exactly what you would do, without any hesitation or second thoughts. He wants to do this."

Fern was quiet for a moment.

"You all think this?"

Every head nodded. Tubbo and Tommy smiled as wide as they could, trying to ease Fern's nerves.

"Then I guess," Fern sighed, running a hand through their hair. "I guess I'm doing this."