Chapter 06: Red and Orange

The Red Siblings, An Orange Cat

"Merry Christmas!"
A loud cheer fills our tiny house. After a toast, we start to eat the food. Christmas had already passed but dad only returned yesterday.

"Dad you're going to stay here until New Year, right?" Rey asked.
"Of course! I worked hard so that I could spend a whole month here you know," dad said.
"Why couldn't you work remotely? You know, internet, video call?" I asked him.
"Not every job could be handled remotely, Ren," he ruffled my hair.

Christmas and New Year is the rare occasion where dad returns home. His office is in another state and he traveled overseas a lot. It would be a waste for us to move with him as he rarely returns home, so he just rents an apartment near his office while keeping the house here.

"I heard Edwin is in town. Why don't you invite him over?" dad suddenly said.
"He's here briefly. You don't need to mind him, dad," Gina said.
"Yes dad, besides, he's here with his lover. We should not bother them," Rey added.
"Speaking of lovers, have you two found someone special?" Dad teased.
"Too busy with college entrance. No time to waste," Gina said.
Rey nodded. "Me too. College entrance. Football practice."
Dad rolled his eyes. "Boring," he commented. "Ah, thanks Clara," he said as mom handed him a bowl of soup.

"How about you, Ren? Do you have someone in your heart?" Dad suddenly asked me.
I was just drinking my cola when he asked. Startled by his sudden question, coughing a little.
"Don't tease Ren, dad," Rey said.
"Ren only hung out with his childhood friend. No one approaches him," Gina added.
Rude!
"Ah well, I just hope I hear happy news when I return," dad said and sipped his drink.
I finally regained my composure after relieving the cough. I then looked at dad who sat beside me at our round dining table. "I'm seeing someone."

The table becomes silent. Everyone looks at me in disbelief, then the twins start to react.

"What?!" "How. No, who?" "Ren, tell us!"
They both obviously overreacted by my sudden confession. I just ignored them and looked at my parents. Dad's smiling face obviously showed while mom looked at me for a moment before she smiled and continued eating.
"Really? Who's this lucky girl? Is she pretty?" Dad asked. He obviously looked excited.
"He's a guy dad," I told him.
"Whaaatt??!" "Who?" "Is he someone from school?" "Ren, tell us!" "Who the hell is this bastard?" "Oh, I'm definitely going to kill him!"
I, again, ignored them. "Rey, Gina, language," Mom warned the twins but did not say anything to me. 

Dad looked surprised for a moment, but it turned into amusement and he chuckled. "Is he handsome? Do you have a photo of him?" Dad looked more excited.
"Well, we never took a picture together," I told him.
"You should Ren. You should cherish every moment together," Dad said as he ruffled my hair.

I feel at ease after confessing to them. Dad is an open-minded person, and he accepts so easily. Mom is always a quiet person. She didn't say anything but I know she didn't mind whoever I chose. She always told me, as long as I'm happy.
Only the twins, and their overprotectiveness, is a bit of a nuisance. I still love them for that.

"Do you think I could invite him for dinner? You are rarely in town and I want to introduce you to him," I asked.
"Of course! I would love to," Dad smiled. "We should go grocery shopping, honey." Mom only smiled and nodded.
"Oh good! Let that jerk come, I will deep-fry him," Gina said nonsense. "Yeah! Then we can feed him to Tabby!" Rey supports his twin nonsensical remark.
I looked at them with curled eyebrows. "Tabby can't eat fried food," I remind them. Stroking the ginger cat who sleeps on my lap.

--

I stopped at a now familiar house. A medium size house at the end of the road with a large garden. I parked my car in front of it and turned off the engine.
"Are you ready?" Ren asked beside me. He looked excited and nervous. I smiled at him. I'm not really nervous but I do want to leave a good impression on his family. To make him happy.
I gave him a nod.