Ch. 17 Mai aag dil mein lagaa doongaa wo, ke pal mein pighal jaaoge

Thank you for staying with us through the long long journey that has been this story. We're sorry for taking so long between updates (we also didn't know that it would take multiple years—and cities, countries, continents).

The story is finally complete. We hope you enjoy the last chapter and have fun every time you return!

Love,

A&V

--------------------------------------------------

"Par aapne itna sab kuch kaise kiya? Udan khatola, aur woh chatpati chaat? Aur yeh kapde? Yeh bhi aap hi ne diye the? Matlab Di ko sab pata tha? Isiliye Jiji akeli Lakshminagar chali gayi! Aur kaun kaun shamil tha?"

Khushi couldn't stop talking about the evening they had just shared, that Arnav had put together just for her. It was beautiful. No. It was more than beautiful; it was magical. She felt like this was all she would think about for the rest of her life. "Aur yahan farmhouse pe bhi sab aapne kiya? Kaise? Aaj raat hum yahi rahenge?"

Arnav couldn't stop staring at Khushi. His expression was halfway between fond and amused. She really was unbelievable — a true whirlwind! And he loved her more because of it. He was so lucky to be able to love her, to be loved by her.

He leaned forward and kissed her. Slowly, he pulled back. He wanted to see her face again—her bright eyes and sweet smile. She wrapped her arms around his neck and drew him closer. His hand went to the small of her back pulling her, impossibly, closer. Cradling Arnav's face in her hands, Khushi broke the kiss, brought her lips right next to his ear as she whispered shyly, "Light."

The next morning, Khushi opened her eyes to see Arnav still sleeping beside. His peaceful smile filled her heart with joy. After everything he had been through and fought for in his life, it was good to see him rest with this easy happiness.

She could watch him like this for the rest of her life but he opened his eyes. And that was good too. She shifted closer to him, resting her head on his chest. He brought his arms around her and kissed her forehead. He felt her smile in response. They drifted back to sleep, safe and secure in the knowledge that they loved each other and there was no power in this universe that could change that.

--------

A few months later:

Arnav was pacing around the pool outside the living room, muttering to himself. Seeing him so worried, Payal stopped by to find out what was wrong.

"Arnavji? Arnavji?" He was too lost in thought to hear her. She snapped her fingers right in front of her face. He was startled out of his reverie.

"Oh! Payal! Tum kab aayi?"

[Oh! Payal! When did you get here?]

"Main toh pichle Valentine's day pe hi dulhan banke aayi!"

[I came here on last Valentine's day as a bride! ]

Arnav smiled and shook his head at her bad joke.But he still looked sheepish.

"Anyway, main decide nahi kar pa raha hu ki Khushi ko wedding anniversary ke liye kya taufa doon?"

[Anyway, I can't decide what to get Khushi for our wedding anniversary.]

Payal laughed. "Yeh toh chhoti si baat hai. Khushi toh ek khuli kitaab hai.

[That's so easy. Khushi is an open book.]

"I know," Arnav sighed, "Lekin mujhe uske liye kuch alag karna hai."

[but I want to do something new for her.]

"Bahot saari jalebiyaan leke aayiyein.

[Surprise her with lots of jalebi?]

"Did that."

"Chaat?"

"Did that."

"Sundar si saari?"

[A nice sari?]

"Done that too."

"Gehene?

[Jewellery?]

"Done."

With every rejected suggestion, Payal lost a little more enthusiasm. Now she understood Arnav's struggle. She thought for a bit and said, "Khushi ko bachpan se shaadi karne ka bahut shauk raha hai. Saari rasme, sundar kapde, sab ke saath waqt bitaana... Aapki shaadi jin halaat mei hui..."

[She always wanted to get married. She loved all the rituals, the beautiful clothes, celebrating with everyone... But the circumstances of your wedding...]

"Maine Khushi se uska sapna chheen liya. Maine usse zabardasti mandir le jaa kar shaadi karwayi. Humne toh saat phere bhi nahi liye."

[I stole Khushi's dream. I forced her to marry me in the temple. Didn't even do all the rituals.]

Arnav was completely crestfallen now. He had hurt in more ways than he would ever realise. Just as Payal reached a hand out to comfort him, a look of determination came over his face.

"Let's do it. I'll give Khushi the wedding she always wanted." He smiled at Payal, "Lekin tumhe meri bahot help karni padegi." [But I'll need lots of help from you.]

Payal and Arnav began to enthusiastically plan how to surprise Khushi with her dream wedding. Unfortunately, they were so engrossed in their conversation that they didn't notice Dadi standing by the door, seething with rage.

"Devyani! Manorama! Anjali!" Dadi shouted as she strode to the living room. She stood in the center and waited for everyone to gather around her.

"Kya hua Subhadra? Sab theek toh hai na?" [Subhadra what happened? Is everything alright?] Nani asked, carefully stepping towards Dadi to comfort her.

"Humein tumse yeh ummeed nahi thi! Yeh parvarish ki hai tumne hamare pote ki?"

[I didn't expect this from you! Is this how you raised my grandson?]

"Maasiji, pehle aap shaant ho jaiye" [Maasiji, please calm down.] Mama said, leading her to the sofa. He poured her a glass of water. She raised her hand to stop him, accompanied by her scariest glare.

Dadi told them what she had overheard and accused everyone in the family of being negligent. She found it deplorable that they had let Khushi and Arnav live together despite their sham of a wedding. A wedding without proper rituals? It was disgusting!

Nani almost fainted from the shock and Akash ran to help her. Dadi and Mami hurled insults at Khushi while Mama also looked down at her with disappointment.

Arnav was confused. He didn't understand why everyone was making such a big deal about it. He told them all that he and Khushi were married in the eyes of the law—what did some elaborate dress up practices have to do with anything? Khushi gasped at that. Arnav heard but continued speaking.

"Lekin, main Khushi se phir se shaadi karunga. Isliye nahi kyon ki jo aap keh rahe hai woh mujhe sahi lagta hai. Par isiliye kyunki main Khushi se pyaar karta hoon aur main uske saare sapne sach karna chahta hoon." [But I will marry Khushi again. Not because I think what you're saying is right, but because I love Khushi and want to make all her dreams come true.] He turned to Khushi. "Main inhe tumhe aur beizzat nahi karne dunga. Main tumhe surprise dena chahta tha, Payal aur maine planning bhi shuru kar di thi. Par jab baat iss tarah saamne aayi hai toh, it's better that you know. Ab hamari shaadi ke saare decisions tum lena. Yeh shaadi waise hi hogi jaise tumne hamaesha se chaaha tha." [I won't let them disgrace you anymore. I wanted to surprise you, Payal and I had already started planning. But now that things have turned out this way, it's better that you know. Now you make all the decisions for our wedding. This wedding will be just like how you have always wanted it to be.] Khushi nodded, smiling through her tears.

And as promised, Arnav Singh Raizada gave Khushi Kumari Gupta (Singh Raizada) the wedding of her dreams—band, baaja, baaraat and all!

The End