Ch 10: Iss Deewani Ladki Ko Koi Samjhaye

Khushi was out of breath by the time she got to the kitchen. She leaned on the counter, not knowing whether she was crying or laughing. She could never have imagined that the Arnav Singh Raizada that took all day to say sorry just once could ever apologise so beautifully. He had acknowledged all the times she had been hurt. Knowing that he understood what she had been through, that he regretted having ever caused or been the catalyst for any of those things was like a soothing balm. This was the Arnav she could trust and respect. She could count on him to communicate with her, to face all obstacles together. They finally had a strong foundation to build their life on.

"Par jo bhi ho," [But whatever it is,] Khushi said, wondering to herself, "Arnavji ka yeh romantic andaaz dekh kar bahut maza aa raha tha. Hum kabhi soch bhi nahi sakte the ki Arnavji hamare liye itna sab karenge. Aur Nanheji aur Jijaji ke saath! Unhone hume itna pareshan kiya hai, unki taang kheechna toh banta hai." [I had so much fun seeing Arnavji in a romantic mode. I'd never thought Arnavji could do all this for me. That too with Nanheji and Jijaji! He's troubled me so much, I've got to pull his leg at least a little.] She snapped her fingers and grinned at the genius ideas forming in her brain.

Just then Payal came into the kitchen for a late night glass of water.

"Jiji!" Khushi lit up. Payal jumped back.

"Khushi! Tum kya kar rahi ho?"

[Khushi! What are you doing here?]

"Jiji kya sahi waqt pe aayi ho!" [You came here at just the right time!] Khushi said, hugging her sister.

"Tumhe dekh ke hume aisa kyun lag raha hai ki tumhare khurafati dimaag mein kuch chal raha hai?" [Why do I feel like something's cooking in that brain of yours?] Payal asked suspiciously. Khushi became serious. Now that everything was turning out well, it was time to tell Payal the truth. She deserved to know.

"Jiji, hame tumhe kuch batana hai. Pehle vaada karo ki gussa nahi karogi."

[Jiji, I need to tell you something. First promise me that you won't get angry.]

"Accha. Theek hai. Nahi karenge. Ab bolo."

[Okay. I won't. Now say it.]

"Tum jaanana chahti thi na ki hamne bina bataye Arnavji se shaadi kyun ki." [You wanted to know why I married Arnavji without informing anyone.] She narrated the entire story. Payal couldn't believe it. She had listened to Khushi as patiently as possible, holding back her anger. But, when Khushi stopped speaking, Payal let her have it.

"Hame Arnavji se yeh umeed nahi thi! Unn se toh hum baad mein nipat lenge. Tum samajhti kya ho apne aapko? Puri duniya ka bojh apne sar pe lene ka thheka le rakha hai kya tumne? Kya zaroorat thi ye sab karne ki, itna sab kuch sehene ki? Tumhe kya laga agar Arnavji Akash se kehte ki hame chod de toh woh sach mein hame chod dete? Hamara pyaar itna kamzor nahi hai. Aur vaise bhi agar Akash aisa karne ki sochte na to hum hi yeh risthta tod dete. Tumne—"

[I didn't expect this from Arnavji. But I will deal with him later. What do you think of yourself? Do you think it's your job to shoulder all the burdens of the world? What was the need to do all this, to suffer silently through it? Did you think that if Arnavji asked Akash to leave me he would? Our love is not that weak. And anyway, if Akash even thought of doing this, I would have left him myself. You—]

"Hum jaante hai ki hame aisa nahi karna chahiye tha. Par baat tumhari zindagi ki thi. Humne yeh sab tumhari bhalaai ke liye hi kiya. Pehle bhi ek baar hamari wajah se tumhari shaadi toot gayi thi. Hum tumhe aur Amma Babuji ko phir uss gham mein nahi dekhna chahte the."