Ch 8: Teri Berukhi Se Hai Badi Umar Intezaar Ki Meri

Note: We are trying to stay true to the characters in the show and hope we have been successful so far.  That being said, we have used this story to point out some of Arnav's problematic characteristics/behaviours that we thought went unacknowledged or were treated lightly in the show.

Thank you to everyone for reading. And for all your comments!

Enjoy!

A&V

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Arnav woke up to an empty room and panicked. He ran downstairs hoping that Khushi hadn't reconsidered her decision to stay for the contract. When he found out that she had, in fact, gone to Laxminagar, he couldn't control his anger. Which, if he was being honest with himself, was mostly fear.

"Khushi!" Arnav shouted as he pushed open the doors of her room in Buaji's house.

"Arnavji?" Khushi looked up, surprised. "Aap yahan kya kar rahe hain?" [What are you doing here?]

"Tum yahan kya kar rahi ho?" [What are you doing here?] he asked, moving towards her.

"Apne parivaar se milne aaye hai, aur kya! Yahan aane ke liye aapse ijaazat leni padegi kya?" [I am here to meet family, what else! Do I have to ask for your permission to come here?]

"Nahi! Par bata ke nahi aa sakti thi?" [No! Why didn't you say you were going?] He was incredulous.

"Bataya toh tha Naniji ko. Aap ko batana humne zaruri nahi samjha." [I told Naniji. I didn't find it important to let you know.] She answered, flippant. Her casual disregard for his place in her life stung.

"Main kitna pareshan ho gaya tha."

[I was really worried.]

"Kyun?"

[Why?]

"Because you're my wife, damnit!" He pulled her closer by her shoulders.

"Hai re Nandkishore!" [Oh lord!] The couple broke apart as Buaji entered the room. "Arnav bitwa, tum kab aaye? Paanch minute bhi apni patni se door naahi reh sake?" [Arnav, when did you come? You couldn't stay away from your wife for five minutes?] She laughed, nudging Khushi with her elbow.

Arnav was saved from responding to that by the landline. Khushi ran out to pick it up.

--

"Hum tumhre liye chai bana det hai. Tum yahi baitho. Naashta naa karke janeka sochna bhi mat." [I am going to make chai for you. You sit here. Don't even think of leaving without breakfast.] Buaji warned as she led Arnav to the dining table and went to the kitchen.

"Chaubees hazaar?!" [Twenty-four thousand?!] Arnav overheard Khushi on the phone.

"Par ek mahine ka kiraaya toh aath hazaar hi hai.... Accha, teen mahine ka... Theek hai, Shuklaji, hum Buaji ko pooch ke bata dete hai." [But the rent for a month is eight thousand... Oh for 3 months... Okay Shuklaji, I will ask Buaji about it.] She put down the phone and headed to the kitchen.

"Kiska phone tha?" [Who was on the phone?] Arnav asked as she passed. Khushi turned around, flustered.

"Kisi ka nahi!"

[No one!]

--

After breakfast, Buaji was determined to send Khushi home with Arnav.