Ch 16: Saazish mein shaamil sara jahan hai, har zarre zarre ki yeh iltija hai

Hello, hi our loyal readers,

We hope that you've been well-- or as well as one can be in these turbulent times. It has been difficult for us to work on this project together as we are separated by multiple continents and oceans. We are trying our best to complete this story for you. Thank you for the love you have given this story so far. We hope you enjoy the newest chapter. 

Take care,

A&V 

-------------------------------------------------------------

By the time Khushi came to their room, Arnav had showered and changed. Just as she stepped through the door, he rushed to her and hugged her. She was confused for a second but relaxed into it.

Then, she pushed him away. And just like that she was off on another of her rants. Aranv tried to listen to her, he really did. She was saying something about how he should have called her and she was worried and she had time to call other people in the family but not her and... . He had missed her so much. He took a step towards her and took her hands in his own. But she didn't notice. She was too busy presenting her case. He kept moving closer until his lips were less than an inch away from hers. She was still ranting. Arnav laughed quietly to himself.

And that's when Khushi realised how close he was. Their eyes met. He kissed her. A moment later he whispered softly in her ear, "I'm sorry." She smiled and moved to kiss him again.

---

"Hi, Di," Arnav stood in the doorway of Anjali's room.

"Hi" she replied. He had expected a warmer welcome but he probably deserved this.

"How are you? How's Shubh?" he asked, walking in and sitting on the bed.

"Hum theek hai." [I am fine.]

Arnav walked over to Shubh and played with him a little, picking him up and walking around the room for a bit. But he was clearly uncomfortable and kept looking over at Anjali. He wished she would shout at him instead of being so distanced.

Eventually, Anjali took pity on him. She patted the spot next to her, inviting him to talk. Arnav lay Shubh on the bed and sat down to her. He sighed. Then took a deep breath as if gathering courage and started speaking.

"Di, I can 't change the past but I will never try to justify what I did because I know that I can't deny that it was wrong. But I can tell you this. I will regret treating Khushi the way I did for the rest of my life. And I know I've hurt you even when I was just trying to protect you but—"

"Chhote, bas ek vaada karo." [Chhote, just promise me one thing.]

"Anything Di!"

"Tum Khushiji ko hamesha khush rakhoge."

[That you will keep Khushiji happy for the rest of your lives.]

"I promise, Di. Aur aapko bhi." [I promise, Di. And you as well.] Anjali smiled then and hugged him.

-----

A few days later:

"Deviyon aur sajjanon, Laad Governor ji ki Taareekh Planning Committee mein aapka welcome hai!" [Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Arnav's Date Planning Committee.] NK beamed at everyone in the room.

Akash, Payal, Anjali and Arnav gave each other baffled looks. Did NK not know why they were here? Then, it clocked. Arnav rolled his eyes.

"NK bhai, just say date" Akash corrected.

"Meeting shuru kare? Nahi toh Khushiji ko bhanak lag jayegi." [Let's start the meeting. Khushi might think something is up.] Anjali said, calling the meeting to order.

"Salman Khan ji se milwa do. Tumhara kaam ho jayega!" [Have Salman khan visit her. Your work will be done.] NK piped up. Arnav glared at him.

"Ye idea nahi chalega. Khushi Arnavji ko hi bhool jayegi!" [This idea won't work . She will likely forget Arnavji after that.] Payal laughed.

"Just go classic, bhai. Khushiji ko kisi acche restaurant mein dinner ke liye le jao," [Just go classic, take Khushiji to a nice restaurant for dinner.] added Akash.

"Idea bura nahi hai lekin Chhote ka favourite khaana Khushiji ko pasand nahi aayega," [It isn't a bad idea but she won't like Arnav's favourite food.] Anjali said. "Kahi ghumane le jao! Lucknow?" [Take her on a trip! To Lucknow?] she suggested but then shot down her own idea. "Par woh toh Pune bhi nahi gayi thi, toh yeh bhi nahi chalega."

[But she didn't even go to Pune so this won't work.]

"Payal, tum hi kuch suggest karo. Tum Khushiji ko sabse zyaada jaanti ho," [Payal, you suggest something. You know her better than anyone.] Akash said. Payal lit up.

"Khushi ko sabse zyaada mele mein jaana pasand hai. Samose, chaat, jalebi aur gole khaana, chudiyan khareedna, jhula jhulna!" [Khushi loves fairs. samosas, chaat, jalebi, shaved iced, buying bangles, going on rides.] Everyone seemed excited by this idea but Arnav just sighed.

"You are all useless. I'll think of something myself!" he said and stormed off.

----

Arnav stewed over the idea for many days. He wanted to do something nice for Khushi but also wanted to plan something that they would enjoy together. After all, that's the whole point of a date!

One day, he landed on the perfect plan. The next step was execution for which he was going to need everybody else's help.

----

Khushi has been alone with Shubh and Anjali all day. Akash, Arnav and NK were at work and Payal had gone to Lakshminagar. But the strange thing was that she had refused to let Khushi go with her.

Around 5 o'clock, Anjali handed Khushi a gift wrapped box.

"Yeh aapke liye hai, Khushiji!" [This is for you, Khushiji!]

"Di! Iski kya zarurat thi?" [Di, what was the need of this?]

"Aise hi. Mujhe laga ki aapko pasand aayegi toh maine khareed li. Try kar ke dikhaiye, please!" [Just because. I thought you would like it so I bought it. Please try it on.]

It was a beautiful deep green anarkali with gold mukaish work on the skirt and floral embroidery with the same thread along the borders. It made her feel elegant.

"Khushiji!" Anjali exclaimed, "ye aap pe kitna sundar lag raha hai. Hara aapka favourite rang hai, na? Yaha baithiye, iske saath ye jhumke bahut acche lagenge." [It looks beautiful on you. Green is your favourite colour, right?] Anjali sat Khushi down at the dresser. Though confused, Khushi went along with it because Anjali seemed so happy and excited. By the end, Khushi's look was complete, jewellery and makeup included. Even Shubh seemed to approve as he smiled and played with her new dupatta.

Just as Khushi was about to suggest that she change back, the doorbell rang.

----

Arnav was stunned. He always thought Khushi looked beautiful, of course, but today he was overwhelmed by the reminder of how lucky he was to have her in his life. He almost forgot what he was supposed to say.

The whole time, Khushi was just standing at the door, confused (again) by the strange behaviour of the Raizada siblings.

"Great, you're ready. Let's go!" Arnav caught Khushi's hand and pulled her out the door and into the car. From the corner of his eye, he saw Anjali wish him good luck.

In the car, Khushi would not stop asking him questions.

"Arnavji, hum kahan jaa rahe hai? Aap itni jaldi kyu aa gaye? Office mein kuch hua hai kya? Aap theek toh hai, na?" [Arnavji, where are we going? Why did you come back so early? Did something happen in the office? Are you alright?] This was expected.

"Koi problem nahi hai, Khushi. Bas kuch der ke liye koi sawaal mat karna."

[Everything is fine. Just don't ask any questions for a while.]

But when had such a request ever been granted? The barrage of questions continued, even after they had reached the amusement park and gotten out of the car.