Ch 6: Raat Ko Ek Din Dhalna Hi Hai

Thank you for reading it so far and leaving wonderful comments. Enjoy!

- A&V

-------------------

"Bhai, ready to go?" Akash asked.

Arnav exchanged a look with Khushi.

"Nahi, main aaj office nahi jaa raha hoon. Aur tum bhi nahi jaa rahe ho," [I am not going to the office today and neither are you.] he replied. Turning to the rest of the family, he said, "Mujhe aur Khushi ko aap sab se kuch zaroori baat karni hai." [Khushi and I need to say something important to all of you.]

Everyone was wary and on guard due to Arnav's tone. "Kaa hua Arnav bitwa?" [What happened Arnav?] Nani asked to break the tense silence.

Not wanting to reply just yet, Arnav herded everyone to the living room. Khushi kneeled in front of Anjali and held her hands. She and Arnav had decided early this morning that their priority would be to make sure that Anjali made it through this. She needed to remember that they were here to support her and had her best interests at heart.

"Di, hame maaf kar dijiye hame yeh baat apse chupani nahi chahiye thi. Hum nahi chahte the ki hamari wajah se aapki zindagi barbaad ho." [Di, I am sorry. I shouldn't have hidden this from you. I didn't want to ruin your life.] Khushi said.

Shyam looked increasingly distressed. Arnav walked over to stand behind the sofa he was sitting on. Mami couldn't handle the tension.

"Kahe itna strecthiya karat ho? Jaldi jaldi batao ki kaa baat hai. Hamka beauty parlor jaeka padi. Hurry peleej!"

[Why are you stretching this? Tell us quickly. I have to go to the beauty parlor. Hurry please!]

Khushi looked at Arnav. He nodded at her to begin.

Khushi began from the day Shyam rescued her from the goons. The truth was long and difficult but Khushi left out no details, eyes on Anjali the whole time.

"Aapko yaad hai, satyanaryan ki puja ke din, aapne pehli baar hame apne pati se milwaya tha? Uss hi din humne unse saare rishte tod diye aur Buaji ke ghar se bahar nikaal diya. Hum agle din hi aapko sab sach sach batane aaye the par aapka mangalsutra toot gaya. Aap itne ghabraye hue the ki hum darr gaye. Aapko uss halat mein dekh kar hame laga ke yeh sadma aap bardasht nahi kar paoge. Aur hum aapko aisa dukh kaise de sakte the?"

[Do you remember, you introduced me to your husband on the day of satyanarayan puja. The same day we broke all ties with him and threw him out of Buaji's house. The next day, I had come to tell you the truth but your mangalsutra broke. Seeing you panic at that scared me. I didn't think you will be able to handle this shock. How could I hurt you this way?]

Shyam fidgeted in his seat. Arnav laid a firm hand on his shoulder, preventing any ideas of escape. Anjali looked at them, the two men she trusted with her life. But she couldn't find anything to say.

Increasingly uncomfortbale by her silence, Shyam said, "Hame aise gande mazaak bilkul pasand nahi, Khushiji."

[Khushiji, I hate such sick jokes.]

Khushi stood up, eyes blazing. "Yeh mazaak nahi hai! Hum sab sach keh rahe hai. Di, iss aadmi ne aapko dhoka diya hai."

[This is not a joke! I am telling you the truth. Di, this man has deceived you.]

Shyam rushed at Khushi, shaking her by the shoulders. "Khushiji aap itna kaise gir sakti ho?" [Khushiji, how could you be so cheap?] Arnav was fuming. But he was beaten to the punch (perhaps literally) by Payal.